What are you reading?

Started by S-S, November 23, 2008, 02:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S-S

I know that quite a few of the forum members are avid readers, so tell me...What are you reading?

I'm reading a book by Sara Paretsky called Bleeding Kansas. It's a story of two families, linked by their midwestern pioneer pasts, and the dark family secrets that threaten to tear them apart.

I'm not very far into the book, I checked it out on Wednesday and it's somewhat hard to follow. From what I've read so far it's kind of a Hatfield & McCoy's family feud.

sixdogsmom

I always have several books in progress; right now I am nearly finished with the second book in the Left Behind series. I also have a little left in BArack Obamas second book, Dreams Of My Father, and am well into Stephen Kings' last book in the Gunslinger series. I am having a difficult time finishing it; I suppose that I don't really want the series to end. I also have a book about Sakajewia started, she was the Native American woman who was the guide for Lewis and Clark. I am also nearly finished with a book entitled What's The Matter With Kansas by Thomas Frank. He examines how Kansas became conservative right politically after being progressive since inception. Very interesting. As you can tell, I am an eclectic reader. That reflects my thinking I guess.  ::) ::)
Edie

Rudy Taylor

I'm reading "Boom!" by Tom Brokaw and rereading "Audacity of Hope" by Barack Obama.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Wilma

I just finished two Charlotte Armstrong light mysteries and am going to try to finish  Cody McFadyen's "Shadow Man".  I also have started Jayne Ann Krentz's "Soft Focus", John Grisham's "The Innocent Man" and David A. Kaufelt's " The Winter Women Murders.  I don't know if I will finish the Grisham book.  It is written a little differently than his usual style and I am not sure I like it.  And the Winter Women Murders hasn't caught my interest yet, so I am not sure about it.

sixdogsmom

Wilma, you should be disallowed to post in a reading category. I doubt that any can hold a candle to the number of books that you read. Remember, I have been to one of your garage sales!  ;D ;D My mom was a great mystery fan, I have never been able to get caught up in all that. I did read a lot of Charlie Chan when I was growing up. I loved the old Charlie Chan movies even though they are considered politically incorrect these days. I still loved them though, just the way I loved Song Of The South and the Uncle Remus stories. (sigh), my age is showing isn't it?  ;) ;)
Edie

heather_tyler_2014

Oh wow I'm reading the wedding planner's daughter 2 and an award winning book that is at school I can't remember the title but it's very interesting so good and or the 4 kids in moline that have been here kdg. 1st 2nd (every single year with out leaving or transfering and coming back) I have the 2nd most read book in our class I don't know about the severy class...I'm thinking about starting twilight and eclipse those look like  good storys
Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

Wilma

SDM, you are right.  I withdraw my entry and I won't start to list the books that I have here that I intend to read.  I do like murder mysteries and Janet keeps me supplied with those.  I like Norah Roberts and that type of book and the Missouri Kid keeps those coming.  I am considering rejoining the Mystery Guild as they are making a special offer and there are some new releases of some of my favorite authors. 

Clubine Ranch

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. What a book, really an inspiration.

sixdogsmom

Let's see isn't that the prof who was dying of cancer? Heading into winter I have to be careful of things that are too depressing. But I have heard it is inspiring.

Quote from: Clubine Ranch on November 23, 2008, 06:43:39 PM
The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. What a book, really an inspiration.
Edie

Catwoman

The Last Lecture is a book that should be a must-read for every student in high school.  It is an artful presentation of how to approach some of the most basic things in life...and it shows how those most basic elements can make the difference between a life well lived or a life spent marking time.  I read it a long time ago...truly enjoyed it.  Presently, I am reading Three Cups of Tea

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk