Hormones: Good, Bad, Ugly

Started by pepelect, November 13, 2008, 08:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

Yes, in fact I said a gallon of milk when it is a 1/2 of gallon of milk.  I drink processed milk,I was raised on raw milk and have not been sick from either.
Army mom

Wilma

The lack of a meat processing plant in the area and a whole lot of other things is the lack of a reliable and sufficient water supply.  Fix that and they WILL come.

Sarah

Quote from: pepelect on November 15, 2008, 10:01:22 PM
That is what I am asking....What are you afraid of in processed milk?  Not getting sick? You like skimming off the cream?    Is it the taste or the lack there of?

I drink store milk, but my kids drink raw goats milk when the goats are milking.  The reason we drink it is because I own the goats and I get my milk for the cost of my labor.   ;D
Raw milk is always going to have more nutrients in it than heat treated milk, the same way raw veggies have more nutrients than heat cooked vegies.  Heat kills.  It's just that simple.  It not only kills the bad, but kills the good as well.   

QuoteI have tried the soy milk, organic, goat, and antibiotic free.   Not a reason in any of them to pay the difference to drink it on my cereal.   I grew up on whole raw milk.   I want to know if there is a reason no one drinks fresh.   If you raise it will it sell?  Would the fresh cream novelty ware off before the loan is paid off?

I know a lot of dairies that sell raw milk and make a killing off of it.  We're becoming a very organic, naturally grown, no chemicals wanted please kind of society.  And people are even getting to the point now where they want their meat and milk to come from grass fed only animals.  They don't even want the animals to have grain.  Kind of hard to keep a dairy animal going on grass only, but that's what people want.

QuoteThere are over 10 thousand cattle feed in the area every year yet there isn't a slaughter house with in 70 miles.  

Uhm, cause we don't want Elk county to smell like Dodge City?   ;D

Part of the reason could be is most of the feed lots in western Kansas grow their own feed for the cattle that they're fattening.  Not much in the way of grain fields around here.  A few, but nothing like Western Kansas.  So, any feed lots around here would have to buy grain to fatten the cattle.  Hard to say though.  And there's really no feed lots out in this part of the state.  No feed lots tends to not attract slaughter houses and visa versa.  This part of the state is almost entirely cow/calf operations, then they're all shipped to Western Kansas to the feed lots and from there to the slaughter houses. 

pepelect

Really there are cow/calf producers around here?   Are they the ones with the muddy boots that drive around all day through town with there cute little horsey trailers.   I just thought we were on a rodeo circuit route.

So if there is not enough feed to feed cattle then how are we supposed to get milk?  If the market is wanting grass fed beef, which it doesn't, then why would we need to feed them grain if we have grass.  There would be no need to send them to the feed yard.  The market wants lean, palatable, and juicy.  That is hard to produce on grass.  It takes a pasture with 3-5 acres per head about 18 months to get large enough to eat.  Pastures don't produce grass 18months so where is Texas are you going to winter them.   When is the cattle drive to begin because driving them in a truck in not very green.  You better plan on about a month based on the 1840's speed.   In a feed lot that would be 90 days.

We have no dairies close enough to provide us with cow juice organic or natural.  Transportation is the biggest issue of any commody.  If you have a raw material you have to get it to the market where ever that happens to be.  There are huge dairies that are built in Kansas because they have figured out it is cheaper to move the finished product than haul the feed.  It costs you the same dollar for fuel to haul 50klbs of grain or 50klbs of milk.

If you have a consumer that only wants the cheapest not the best then you are going to get foods and services that are cheap and inferior.

Natural is a great word.   Horse shit is all natural, lots of digestable whole grains, full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.  Recyle, reuse, reduce, reruminate!

srkruzich

Quote from: pepelect on November 16, 2008, 11:31:20 AM

We have no dairies close enough to provide us with cow juice organic or natural.  Transportation is the biggest issue of any commody.  If you have a raw material you have to get it to the market where ever that happens to be.  There are huge dairies that are built in Kansas because they have figured out it is cheaper to move the finished product than haul the feed.  It costs you the same dollar for fuel to haul 50klbs of grain or 50klbs of milk.
well theres one i saw about 40 miles from here but its one reason i don't want to drink the store stuff. One thing about commercial milk, you get all the milk taken that day from healthy as well as sick cattle.   

QuoteIf you have a consumer that only wants the cheapest not the best then you are going to get foods and services that are cheap and inferior.
Not necessarily.  I buy philadelphia brand cream cheese not the cheap no name stuff, olive oil to cook in instead of that corn oil things like that.  There are some things better to buy the more expensive stuff than the cheap stuff.  Milk is another item.

QuoteNatural is a great word.   Horse shit is all natural, lots of digestable whole grains, full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.  Recyle, reuse, reduce, reruminate!
Yeah but horse crap that contains non organic feeds and suppliments from ingestion is not organic :P
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Jane

I do not know what the argument is, but everyone has their own taste in food and the name brands they use. I think to keep pelting everyone with whether  it is good or not is being childish.
Army Mom

S-S

AGREED!!!!

I buy 2% milk. I do not drink milk as I cannot have milk products - but everyone in my house drinks it and has no problem. I also buy soy chocolate milk, Billy says it tastes better than regular chocolate milk - and he's the boss.

Drink or eat whatever kind of milk you like and shutup.

Wilma

When I think of raw milk, I see it in the bucket in which it has just been milked from the cow, along with whatever trash has managed to find it's way into the bucket.  This includes bits and pieces from the cow's flicking tail.  Of course the milk was strained to get the trash out, but does straining get out whatever germs had been clinging to the trash.  Unless you have a milking machine that can seal out the trash, then your raw milk is likely to have some unhealthy bits in it that can't be strained out.

I was raised on raw milk, too.  We didn't have a separator, so my mother would skim the cream to save to sell in town.  The taste of the milk depended on what the cow had been eating.  Pasture grass was just fine, but if she happened to get into the green wheat field, it wasn't so nice.

pepelect

I am childish.  Rude...etc.     I could go on for hours               nan nan da boo boo

Should we have more of a selection of natural whole foods?       My first question/point was if you are willing to buy organic milk are you needing other organic products?

This is not an argument.   I pelt about every thing.  I never shutup.    I am the boss.........

..............................................................................until she wakes up.

Catwoman

Now, now...Patrick, we all love you...you're an original...God broke all 12 molds on you! lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk