Moline and surrounding area history

Started by Teresa, November 04, 2008, 04:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Was ask to post this.. input is needed...

I need some help and was going to post it on the forum just didnt know how.
Tomorrow I have the author Ann Holt coming to the grade school to talk to the kids and she was wanting a history question about Moline or the surrounding area that would not be to hard for the kids to answer.  Can you help me post something so that the wonderful people on the forum could help me?

Thank you,
Donna Madison

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

How easy do they need to be?

Has the county seat always been in Howard? Where else has it been?

What rail road ran through Elk County that people used instead of driving or walking?

What place did the WPA build that we still use today?

Bonnie M.

Here's some history:

"Located on a slightly elevated plateau in the valley of Wildcat Creek. Named by the Indians because of the number of wildcats that lived along the stream. In early 1879 the railway extended westward from Independence. The Land & Town Co. was chartered July 21, 1879, purchased land and laid out the town. Some of the land was purchased from Mr. Hankinson and is still known as the Hankinson addition.

A salesman from the John Deere Co., of Moline, Ill.  gave the city it's name. The first building was a blacksmith shop, next a general store. The Post Office from Old Boston was moved in a covered wagon and , for three days, mail was delivered from the back of the wagon."
Bonnie

Donna

Teresa already posted this... but I will reiterate....
Thanks for the help so far.

I am needing help with a history question for Moline or the surrounding area that the Moline Grade School kids might be able to answer.  There will be an author at the school tomorrow and she asked for this information.  I have several people working on this but so far no one has been able to come up with any thing.  I am hoping some one on the forum will be able to help me. 

Catwoman

What was the name of the one-room school house that was the victim of fire?

What is the name of the road that has a well on it that people like to retrieve water from?

What happened to the first high school in Howard?

Clubine Ranch

The building that now houses the Museum in Moline was originally a hospital with Dr. Shaffer as the physician.

St. Mary's Catholic Church Moline, KS was destroyed by fire on Thanksgiving Day in 1942.

Maybe this will help.

Catwoman

What is the name of the first teacher who came to Elk County, who is buried just off of the highway as you're headed up to Severy?

frawin

Cat, he was my namesake, Frank Hobbs. I remember taking pennies to school when I was in the 3rd grade, they were collecting money to put a fence around the grave.
Frank

frawin

What business in Moline was the oldest of it's kind in America/ Ames Chevrolet was the oldest Chevrolet dealership in America at one time.

marilyn

A salesman named Moline?   Where did he get the name?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk