Obama Camp Rejects Jackson's Claim That He Would Diminish 'Zionist' Influence

Started by frawin, October 14, 2008, 08:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Is there some problems coming out in the Obama family??

Obama Camp Rejects Jackson's Claim That He Would Diminish 'Zionist' Influence
Barack Obama's campaign rejects Jesse Jackson's claim that "Zionists" would lose clout under an Obama administration.

FOXNews.com

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Barack Obama's campaign stepped in quickly Tuesday to distance itself from a claim by the Rev. Jesse Jackson that "Zionists" would lose clout under an Obama administration.

The move was the latest chapter in what appears to be a protracted falling-out between the two Chicago figures -- each of whom represents a different age of political activism.

Jackson made the remarks to the World Policy Forum in France last week, according to The New York Post. The civil rights activist reportedly said that "Zionists who have controlled American policy for decades" would lose some of their influence with Obama in the White House, and that "decades of putting Israel's interests first" would come to a close.

Obama's campaign denied that assertion on Tuesday.

"Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. is not an adviser to the Obama campaign and is therefore in no position to interpret or share Barack Obama's views on Israel and foreign policy," Obama national security spokeswoman Wendy Morigi said in a statement.

"As he has made clear throughout his career and throughout this campaign, Barack Obama has a fundamental commitment to a strong U.S.-Israel relationship ... As president, he will ensure that Israel can defend itself from every threat it faces, stand with Israel in its quest for a secure peace with its neighbors, and use all elements of American power to end Iran's illicit nuclear program.

"No false charges can change Barack Obama's unshakeable commitment to Israel's security."

Jackson reportedly acknowledged that he was not an adviser to Obama, but rather a "supporter." But the words he used to describe their relationship suggest that he thinks he is much closer to Obama than the Obama campaign believes.

Jackson reportedly described Obama as a "neighbor or, better still, a member of the family."

John McCain's spokesman, Tucker Bounds, also reacted to Jackson's comments on Tuesday, saying: "Literally, nobody knows what Barack Obama's policies would be if he were elected president, but it's very concerning that people believe he will not be a friend to Israel."

In July, Jackson created a controversy when he was caught saying of Obama, "I want to cut his nuts off," in what he apparently thought was a private conversation preceding a FOX News interview. He was caught on an open microphone complaining that Obama was "talking down to black people."

Jackson apologized for the remark, and the Obama campaign said it accepted Jackson's apology.

sixdogsmom

LOL! Jesse and Al just keep hoping that somebody will invite them to the party!  :D :D
Edie

Teresa

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

QuoteThe civil rights activist reportedly said that "Zionists who have controlled American policy for decades" would lose some of their influence with Obama in the White House, and that "decades of putting Israel's interests first" would come to a close.

I have a serious question about somthing that I really don't know. That is why DOES the United States have such responsibility for Isreal and bein their guard dog so to speak? There have been times when I thought Isreal was like the obnoxious lttle kid who goes and picks a fight he can't win and then runs and hides behind his big brother. Is it because of the holocaust? Because of religious stuff? Seriously, educate me whoever.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Teresa

I've never actually understood why we had to run out and try to save the world... but..................where national defense and security is concerned I don't claim to be the sharpest tack in the box.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

Oh now :P lol I really have wondered about this more than once tho.......
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

Pam, it goes back to 1948 when Israel was formed as a Jewish country, so Jews would have a place to call home after the all the disruption during WWII. Because of the Palestinians and Muslim problems, that tiny country needed a big strong ally and we agreed to be it. I think Truman had  lot to do with it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk