Wooly Worms

Started by Wilma, October 13, 2008, 08:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

This has been mentioned in the Recipes section, but I wanted to talk more about the wooly worms.  I have seen only one wooly worm this year and it was light colored and not very fuzzy.  What about the rest of you?  I know Judy has said that she has seen lots of them.

We need to know so we will know what kind of a winter to plan for.

Judy Harder

Wilma,

I am sorry if I said lots. I have only seen 2 or 3 and those were a week ago or  so.

I think compared to other years, that their aren't as many of them this year.

I walk every day as long as it doesn't get wet and the  winds aren't real bad........ I still see butterflies and bees.
This weather today will probably cancel out them.

I remember a little of the old farmers tales of why and when we see black fussy caterpillers..........but not enough of it
to repeat...........after all the polite-police would tell me about it. LOL.

maybe someone will find a Fox Fire book and tell  us.

Good wet day to you. I won't walk today, except to go to mail box and maybe visit at the cafe if rain doesn't get any harder than this.
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Wilma and Judy, I noticed a couple "Wooly Worms" by my garden area yesterday. It seems to me they are not as many as usual.
I don't know if the wet year has had anything to do with it or not.
Frank

S-S

I've seen quite a few. I've seen 3 or 4 here in our yard and one the other day when I was stopped at the road construction west of Beaumont. They were all dark and very wooly.

Dee Gee

I seen a half dozen wooly worms today and they were all totaly black and very wooly, so does mean we going to have a long cold dark winter?
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

Judy Harder

Who knows Dee Gee, seems when we predict something the "Powers that Be" decide to do something else.
What will be, will be.

You might make sure you know where your long handles are...........and maybe be ready. LOL Then we will get a new heat wave to go through...
Here I am Lord, use me!

Ms Bear

I saw a wooly worm today when I walked and it was not very wooly.   It is still very warm here, 87 at 7 pm but we are supposed to really cool off over the next two days.  I am ready.

Wilma

If what we are having reaches you, you will need your long handles.  The wind seemed to have ice in it around 3:00 today when we got home.  I just heard that Denver is having snow.

Diane Amberg

Brrrr! It's going to be wet and raw here tomorrow.No wooly bears yet.

Judy Harder

I turned on my heat yesterday to take off the chill so I could have a nice shower......and left it on low all night.
I slept under a turned on electric blanket and really enjoyed that. Sassy even snuggled more than normal. Kept my back warm.

Then this morning I did put on heavier clothes and got a shock when I went out to go to church and had to scrape ice off windshield. Wasn't ready for that.. Oh, I still haven't seen the wooly worms but have dug out my sweats.
Oh, Ms Bear, it is coming. I know you Texans need a cooling off, but we didn't. I am ready for warmer weather.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk