Iran: Tehran could make 60 Nuclear Bombs in two years, says US Expert

Started by Warph, October 10, 2008, 03:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Security/?id=3.0.2568914430

Milan, 10 Oct. (AKI) - Iran may have the capacity to produce up to 60 nuclear bombs within two years, a leading US non -proliferation expert has told Adnkronos International.

Henry Sokolski, executive director of the Washington-based Nonproliferation Policy Education Center (NPEC), was taking part in a summit , "Preventing nuclear proliferation in the Middle East", organised by Italy's Institute for the Study of Foreign Policy (ISPI) and the Italian Foreign Ministry in Milan.

In an interview with AKI, Sokolski raised the alarm about Iran's intentions, claiming that it would have sufficient plutonium after the opening of the Bushehr plant to construct from 30 to 60 bombs.

The nuclear facility at Bushehr is being built under an agreement between the Russian and Iranian governments for 800 million dollars and is expected to begin production in early 2009.

Sokolski said Iran was putting in place the necessary technology and knowledge to recover the new plant's waste using a chemical process that does not need complex installation or specific structures.

"Plutonium that could be used to make atomic bombs," he told AKI. "The fuel for Bushehr will be supplied by the Russians who also said they would dispose of the waste products from it."

But he said few people know that this waste will remain in Iran for two years before being taken away.

"In this time frame the Iranians, with an excuse to analyse the waste, can transfer it to a chemical factory and extract the plutonium," he said.

He said in the first 18 months the plant would use between 22 to 25 tonnes of fuel, from which 300 kilogrammes of plutonium could be recovered from the waste to make from 30 to 60 bombs.

Henry Sokolski heads the nonprofit organisation founded in 1994 to promote a better understanding of strategic weapons proliferation issues among policy-makers, scholars and the media.

He also serves as an adjunct professor at the Institute of World Politics in Washington and is a member of the Congressional Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism, to which he was appointed in May 2008.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

This is an amazing interview with Henry Sokolski, executive director of the Washington-based Nonproliferation Policy Education Center.  I guess no one is interested in this post.  Sad!  :(
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

pam

What's to be said about it? Did people really think that once they let that particular devil out of the hat back in WWII that the only people who would figure out how to make one would be us? WE bear the responsibility for loosin nuclear on the world and there ain't no way to make it disappear or only stay in safe hands, and figurin out how to use it for electricity doesn't lessen the basic potential it has to totally destroy the world, which was the use it was intended for.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

First of all, is Henry a Republican or a Democrat? I have to know so I can decide if its all lies or not. Honest, I'm not serious, but that is how some of these posts seem some times.  Until the election is over I don't know what can be said about Iran and any of what goes on there. North Korea was just taken off the terrorist list, and I don't understand that either except that Pres. Bush did it. Some kind of negotiations have been going on, but I'm not sure who is after what.

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 11, 2008, 11:23:39 AM
First of all, is Henry a Republican or a Democrat? I have to know so I can decide if its all lies or not. Honest, I'm not serious, but that is how some of these posts seem some times.  Until the election is over I don't know what can be said about Iran and any of what goes on there. North Korea was just taken off the terrorist list, and I don't understand that either except that Pres. Bush did it. Some kind of negotiations have been going on, but I'm not sure who is after what.

I don't know, Diane.... for all I know he could be a closet Whig or a member of the old/new No-Nothing Party.  His bio is pretty impressive and so I would imagine that he knows what he's talking about.  You can bet 100% that we do know what is going on in Iran.  As for N. Korea, it is a 'wait and see what happens' situation now that Kim Jong-il might be incapacitated.... but then again, the recent rumors about the poor health of Kim Jong Il might be unfounded.  Who knows, there might be a great power struggle in the devil's lair.
--Warph

-- Warph

greatguns

So Diane, are you telling me both parties might have some good and bad ideas.  I was starting to think it was do or die.  I think you have renewed my hope. ;) ;) ;) ;)  Thanks.

dnalexander

Quote from: Warph on October 11, 2008, 02:52:20 AM
This is an amazing interview with Henry Sokolski, executive director of the Washington-based Nonproliferation Policy Education Center.  I guess no one is interested in this post.  Sad!  :(

Warph you know I am your biggest fan. No you won't end up like James Caan  in a bed with me busting your legs. (Movie Reference with Caty Bates) While yes this is important and I don't want to do anything that would lessen the time you spend providing us with content. I have to say that this post is nothing special. I am interested you just speaking to the choir.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk