I Never In A Million Years...................................

Started by Teresa, October 10, 2008, 10:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Waldo's response in the gas station thread promoted me to start this one.

How many times have we looked at something or thought" Never in a million years would I have thought that would have worked..or successfully  been on the market..etc

What conveniences, items or the 'way things that are done" now...........do you still shake your head at and wonder .. "never thought it would work".

I can tell you that I never ever thought we would be buying bags of DIRT!
Dirt? Where we have fields and fields of it and we go and buy a bag?  Amazing.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

littlelamb

i never thought id see a commercial advertising "best stick youll ever pee on " for a preg test

W. Gray

How about buying sacks of rock?

Some folks may remember the 78 rpm records, those things made of shellac and an additive binder that when dropped flew into one hundred pieces.

In our lifetime replaced by:

45 rpm record
33 1/3 rpm record
10 inch reel to reel tape
7 inch reel to reel tape
8 track tape
Cassette tape
CD disc
DVD disc
Blu-Ray disc

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

I'll add two. People paying big money for bottled water that mostly comes out of a municipal tap. From what you guys say about your water though I find I am posting this in a place where I would be drinking bottled water.

The "pet rock". The creator of the pet rock gave a lecture to my Marketing class in college. He made over a million dollars on an idea that he got while out drinking with friends. Just proves that if you market something correctly you can sell anything to people.

David

DanCookson

On that note David, the same guy lost part of  his fortune trying to sell his  idea, "bottled air"

You were buying sealed bottles of air that had been taken from all over the world.  Monstrous flop!!

dnalexander

Gary Dahl used some of his profits from the pet rock to open a bar called Carry Nations a famous watering hole near where I went to college. He just sold it a couple years ago for a very large sum of money. His house in the Los Gatos Hills is very impressive. Though like many entrepreneurs his fortunes went way up and way down depending on his current project. He is quite an interesting man.

David

DanCookson

Yes, I have heard he had a very interesting time with many different ideas and his fortune would eb and flow with the success of each.  I find people who are able to invent and market ideas fascinating to talk to or hear speak.  They have such a passion and courage and belief in themselves.  It is truly something we could all use a bit of I think!

W. Gray

Quote from: dnalexander on October 10, 2008, 11:16:45 AM
Gary Dahl used some of his profits from the pet rock to open a bar called Carry Nations a famous watering hole near where I went to college.

David

Carey Nation was a graduate of the Normal Institute in Warrensburg, Mo, which is now the University of Central Missouri and she taught over in Holden.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Waldo, I had forgotten that from my days living in Warrensburg. Thanks for the history lesson.

David

D Whetstone

...would we have imagined the internet, email, and the Elk County Forum.  Quite an amazing thing it is.

God bless you Al Gore!

DW

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk