Are the Robins Gone??????

Started by Wilma, October 06, 2008, 01:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

Hey! What if we (the town of Howard) were to adopt the purple martin as our "official bird" and the entire community could install aviary apartments, then we could advertise ourselves as "Howard -- The Mosquito Free Town." Even our new light posts in the business district could include some of the birdhouses. Now THAT would be an attractive selling point to those considering a move to a smaller town, dont'cha think?

S-S

Purple martin "apartments" were on sale at Orschelen's yesterday. They're pretty expensive in the spring. I bought a few feeders yesterday and I'm so excited to hang them up today. Thanks for all your help!

sixdogsmom

It was such a pretty day today that I had the back door propped open most of the day. The 'kids' love running in and out and the freedom to come and go as they please. The older ones spent a lot of their day out laying in the sun, and running inside every once in awhile to make certain that they weren't missing anything. We had a pair of Carolina Wrens here most of the day, cleaning the tree trunks. They will spend a little time here and continue on south later this winter. I had a pair that would roost each November in a basket I had hung on the front porch. I wonder what they thought when they showed up and their basket was gone after I moved away? They have a very loud and pretty call. I will be happy to see the Chicadees recover from their near extinction from West Nile virus. We had only one here last winter, opposed to the many we saw every year before the epidemic. I am not seeing the numbers of house finches that we used to have. Does anyone know what the story is there?
Edie

Wilma

I know you are not going to believe this, but, I swear I haven't started on the eggnog yet.  I had a bluebird at my bird feeder.  Then I saw it fly into the neighbor's tree.  Robins and bluebirds?  What's going on here?

Judy Harder

Weather is a-changing...........stormy weather around and you are a safe-haven.

Enjoy... I kind of think the bluebirds will stick around if the weather is fairly mild
robins kind of travel........but will be around too.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Tobina+1

I have had quite a few red cardinals in my trees the last few days!  Such a pretty sight next to the dull, brown branches!  And yes, I think I've seen at least 1 bluebird, too, maybe more.  I'm not a bird-watcher... is it uncommon for bluebirds to be around in the winter?

Wilma

Yes, it is uncommon for bluebirds to stick around for the winter.  I think it is gone now and we haven't seen the robins for a couple of days, either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk