Persimmons

Started by Joanna, October 05, 2008, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Barbie Morgan cut one open the other night and it was a perfect spoon. Very very defined and the spoon was pure white. We did several and they were all the same.. A spoon.

Knife: If the shape inside the seed is that of a knife, it is believed to mean the winter will be cutting cold. As my grandma would say: So cold the wind feels like its cutting right through you like a knife.

Spoon: When the shape inside the seed looks like a spoon it is said to mean it will be a heavy winter. The spoon represents lots of shoveling.

Fork: The appearance of a fork shape within the seed is believed to mean that winter will be easy with only a light dusty of snow.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Catwoman

Ugh...I did enough shoveling last winter...my back is already hurting in anticipation of this coming winter!  >:(

frawin

Teresa, that is very interesting--I've never heard that before!
Myrna

Bonnie M.

I've heard that before, don't know for sure if it works, but it makes for an interesting "study!"
Bonnie

flo

Quote from: Teresa on October 06, 2008, 04:14:35 PM

Spoon: When the shape inside the seed looks like a spoon it is said to mean it will be a heavy winter. The spoon represents lots of shoveling.

A couple weeks ago Channel 12 gave the "almanac" forecast and it called for colder than normal and an exceptional amount of snow.  Might be something to that "spoon".

Judy, how thick was the fur on that woolie worm?  Another wive's tale is "Nature provides for her own" so . . . . if there is an abundance of fruit and nuts on the trees, that's another sign.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

There is a LOT of woolly worms this year. I don't know if that means anything.. (((( maybe the woolly worms tv was on the blitz and they just got bored and made baby woolly worms??))))  :laugh:
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Catwoman

I remember how thick those things were, crossing the highway as I would motor down to Sedan to go to Floyd's.  I always felt so guilty about crushing them.

Joanna

Quote from: dnalexander on October 05, 2008, 01:31:51 PM
Here are some links I found googleing "Kansas Persimmon"...

Thanks David!  That is definitely what I have and I don't know why I didn't think to add "Kansas" to my Google too...

I'm going to try to work up some of them... I think I'll wait for the hard freeze as it suggests.  Some of the ground ones are great, but others make you pucker... it's indescribable...  :o I can't taste every one I use and I don't want to take any chances on getting those kind in my jam or presesrves!

frawin

Mother sent a couple of recipes for persimmons, so thought I would put them out here for all to enjoy if you wanted to.  She said this pudding was a favorite of Cora Beckner.  I know some of you will know who she was.  She was a fun lady!

Persimmon Pudding

Run persimmons through a colander to make 1 pint of pulp.

This is the recipe:
1 pint of pulp
1 pint (2 cups) flour
1 pint (2 cups) sweet milk
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
spice to tase:  Cinammon, cloves, nutmet.
Beat egg, add milk, sugar, salt, spices, flour & baking powder.  Then add pulp - bake in medium oven 1 hour & 15 minutes.  Bake in a loaf pan.  I would guess 350 would be close to a medium oven.  This is a very old recipe.  Maybe I should have put it in the other thread!

Make a sauce of 1 cup sugar, 1TBSP flour, and butter the size of a walnut.  Flavor to taste, add boiling water to make sauce the consistency you want it.  She said she remembered Cora using maple flavoring.  The put the sauce on the pudding when you serve it.

Persimmon cookies
1 cup pulp
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (or oleo)
2 cups flour
1 tsp cinammon
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup nuts (optional)
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 egg
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder

Beat egg and mix it and soda with pulp.  Let stand while mixing rest of ingredients, then add pulp, nuts & raisins.  Drop
by spoonful on greased cookie sheet.  Bake 350 for 10-12 minutes.

She also advised waiting until  after a freeze before using the persimmons.

Enjoy!
Myrna

Catwoman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk