Neighbors

Started by W. Gray, September 21, 2008, 06:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Frank,

I think I mentioned some of this before and I was reminded this past week by both Dwight and my mother.

When my mother and father were farming in the early 40s along the Elk River southeast of Howard, they usually had two little visitors every day, ten or eleven year old Dwight Winn and his brother Wes. They came from a neighboring farm or residence.

When my father went into the service, my mother and her two kids moved into a house on the southwest corner of Monroe and Cedar in Howard. When we moved out in 1946, the Winn family along with Frank but minus Dwight and a few others moved in. Dwight had gone into the service. Dwight said there might have been seven of the kids who moved in when we left.

We were on our way to Independence, Missouri, where my father had found a job.

When my folks moved back to Howard in 1989, they chose a house that would prove to be next door to Dwight and Gleneva Winn.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Waldo, I am saving this to my family history file. Thank you very much.

David

W. Gray

My father always liked to tell a story of when they lived on that farm.

Sometimes, he would take me along to "go get the cows."

I was too young to walk along and keep up so he would put me on his shoulders with my legs around his neck, my feet hanging over his chest, and him holding on to my hands.

On at least one occasion, I guess the cows were a little further off, it took a little longer, and I decided to take a leak down the back of his neck.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Quote from: W. Gray on September 21, 2008, 06:35:03 PM
Frank,

I think I mentioned some of this before and I was reminded this past week by both Dwight and my mother.

When my mother and father were farming in the early 40s along the Elk River southeast of Howard, they usually had two little visitors every day, ten or eleven year old Dwight Winn and his brother Wes. They came from a neighboring farm or residence.

When my father went into the service, my mother and her two kids moved into a house on the southwest corner of Monroe and Cedar in Howard. When we moved out in 1946, the Winn family along with Frank but minus Dwight and a few others moved in. Dwight had gone into the service. Dwight said there might have been seven of the kids who moved in when we left.

We were on our way to Independence, Missouri, where my father had found a job.

When my folks moved back to Howard in 1989, they chose a house that would prove to be next door to Dwight and Gleneva Winn.

Waldo, I knew your parents lived close to mine when they lived South of West Elk High School, in the house that sets on the River.  I am not sure that I knew your parents lived in the house in town before we did. Looks like the Winns and the Grays our bound to live close to each other. I am sure that always worked out good as your parents were no doubt always good neighbors. I knew your mother and father's family but I didn't know your parents when I was growing up. I remember when Jimmy Nash came and lived with your Grandparents and went to school for awhile in Howard.

dnalexander

Uncle Frank what was Grandpa and Grandma Winn's address in Howard when I was a kid in the 60's 70's? It seemed it was near the middle of town and just a few blocks from the Highway where Aunt Velda and Fear lived? Is that house still around?

David

frawin

David, they didn't have addresses then, I will look to see what it is next time I am there. It was 7 blocks straight South of where Fear lived. The House is still there, I go by it everytime I am in Howard, it holds lots of memories for me.

frawin

David, I looked up the address of someone that lives on the street in question and it is Cedar Street.

W. Gray

Jimmy Nash's sister Janet also came to live with them.

By then though, I think they sent Jimmy to live with relatives on a farm in Moran, Kansas.

A brother Jackie went to live with relatives in Cherryvale.

They were from a broken family, but they all seemed to come out of it okay. A few years ago Jackie had a bait shop in Fall River but has since moved to Texas. Janet is in Oregon and I probably have not seen her since she was eleven or twelve.

I am not exactly sure of the times, because I started working at thirteen so I missed out on the specifics of what was happening with anyone and everyone in Kansas from then on til my folks moved back.

dnalexander

Quote from: frawin on September 21, 2008, 07:27:37 PM
David, they didn't have addresses then, I will look to see what it is next time I am there. It was 7 blocks straight South of where Fear lived. The House is still there, I go by it everytime I am in Howard, it holds lots of memories for me.

Looking at the map I think it may have been adams and cedar. Let me know what you find out on the next trip. I have so many good memories of sleeping in the back porch off the kitchen and the big brown furnace is the front room. There is a good story I have when I took my stuffed "Flipper" dolphin and put it on the heater to warm it up. I burnt a grid from the view window on the side of Flipper. Years later I told Mom that burning Flipper was one of the most memorable times from my childhood. The next Christmas, I was in my 40's, I got a Flipper in my Christmas stocking. It is Kansas (Boy the dog) favorite toy. It is permeated with quail and pheasant oil. He brings it to me every morning when he want  me to feed him.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk