Prairie Star

Started by W. Gray, September 02, 2008, 08:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Very impressive newspaper.  We love it.  Thanks!

frawin

Rudy, we got ournew "Prairie Star" on Saturday, it looks great. Great move and great job, those of us that live away really appreciate getting the local paper. We left Howard in 1965 but we have never stopped taking the local paper. My wife and I look forward to recieving the paper every week.

Rudy Taylor

Hi, everybody:

A few thoughts --- I can't remember who posted the comment earlier about not enough news from Howard. Jenny and I talked about it and we assume you meant not enough "local items" such as those written in communities in Longton, Elk Falls, Grenola, etc. Actually, a major part of our news does come from Howard since that's where West Elk school is centered, the courthouse is located, etc., but we understand the need for more "items" about local folks.

Even Moline is lacking such items after the recent death of our writer, Pat McAlister. And, Jenny is trying to find someone to fill that void.

OK, here's the deal: It's getting harder and harder to find people willing to spend time making telephone calls and being a point of contact for local news items in towns like Howard. It's ironic that the smaller the town, the better luck we have in finding correspondents. We face the same problem in other areas served by Taylor Newspapers.  We don't have trouble finding writers in Edna, Liberty, Grafton, Elgin or Chautauqua, but we have no "local items" writers in Sedan, Caney, Cherryvale, Oswego, Howard, Moline, Chetopa and other towns of that size.

For one thing, most people simply don't want their goings-and-comings made public. If you started calling people in Howard and ask if they had company over the weekend, or had anything to go in the newspaper, you'd be surprised how many people you'd make angry.  We're a very private society anymore.

So, if someone in Howard or Moline would like to perform a rewarding public service to their community, please tell them to contact Jenny Diveley at 620 577-2231 or email her at taylornews@taylornews.org.

Another thing: I wasn't kidding on another thread when I said we might be interested in opening a small office in Howard if the old bank building ever gets a make-over. It would be small and part-time in nature, but would add to the fun we're having in Elk County.

Don't tell anybody, but you've fast become our favorite place on earth.

:-)

Rudy
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Devyn-Leann

Rudy, what about a Howard Local News drop box at P & J's, Family Market, or Cookson's? Folks could just drop their news into the box if they'd like....

Rudy Taylor

We'll do it.

I'll ask Jenny which would be the best place.

Remember Rose's box by the post office? I liked that, but I'm afraid the items might get stolen.

Those were the good ol' days when things like that didn't happen so often.

Roma Jean Turner

If I was in Elk Co, I would love to do the info thing for the paper, but alas, I am not.  I do know that as I go through the old microfilms I have so enjoyed reading the local social comings and goings of my family.  It has made me feel somehow, more apart of them, even though I never met most of them.  It tells you so much about the kind of people they were and their interests.  Did they go to the opera house?  Did they travel?  What were their business interests?  What families in the community did they run around with?  I have learned so much from those articles.  The old obituaries, tell you so much about who the person was as an individual.  I understand the privacy issue, but our ancestors will not enjoy the colorfull footprints that some of our ancestors have left.

Bonnie M.

I agree, we love reading the "Home Town news."  We haven't received the new "Prairie Star" format yet, but we're looking forward to it.  We're thankful that Steve Fielder will submit the news from Longton, he is "out and about," and includes community news.  (It takes quite some time for the paper to make it's way out to Escondido!  No fault of Rudy's!)
Bonnie

pepelect

You publish blurps and single stories on line.

Why don't you offer the entire paper, including ads hint hint, online for a fee.  Maybe ad sponsored, hint hint, to cover the cost. 

What are the copyright problems with the www compared to the old kill a tree for window cleaning method( don't have birdcage or indoor pets to train)?

Jenny are you still lurking.   Put on your big girl panties and show your self.     You put the stuff in to a computer two or three times anyway why can't we read it on one.  Just think of the paper you would save. 

Do it for the trees.

Save a tree publish online.

Rudy Taylor

PEP, the problem is: You're a generation ahead of the rest of us.

So, my kids will probably do an exclusive on-line product that will make your wrist watch spin, your IPod beep, your Palm Pilot blink, your cell phone jingle and your TV set flicker.

Also, the chip that will be implanted in your eyebrows will make you go to the Elk County Forum and beg for a return to the old days when everybody held their Prairie Star newspaper between their thumbs and spent an entire evening reading it.

As for Jenny, she's now a forumite.  She's "Cuffette."  See the Greetings, Birthdays and Anniversaries for her first post.

dnalexander

The internet killed the newspaper business. Free online ads (craigs list), Free online editions. I have been an avid newspaper read all my life. I must admit I get most of my news now through RSS feeds. I really miss getting that newsprint on my hands. Hang in there Rudy some of still love the ink on our hands. I am all for progress, but I am nostalgic as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk