M.Cookson & his sax

Started by Mom70x7, August 13, 2008, 12:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Thanks, MT, for a good posting!

Lots of nice information there. I'm glad you guys enjoy cars. I don't! Just everyone else in my family does.

As far as the bari sax goes - you really and truly could still play. The music department is always looking for adults to play at the football and basketball games. Advantage - you get in free. As our student population dwindles, so does the size of the pep band. Regular band members are often playing football and basketball, making the pep band even smaller. We've had adults playing for several years now.

And anyone else that wants to play in the band  . . . I'll make sure you get all the right introductions and the music to practice with.  :D

mtcookson

Actually, I have played with the pep band once before. I need to start doing that again, though I need a new reed. My fiberreed is a few years old. It still works, but its getting worn. :laugh:

flo

great bio, mt, and very informative.  Wish some of the other new members would follow in your footsteps.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

So stop talking, MT and go do it! :laugh:  Buy a new reed and blow...  8) limber up those fingers...keep the reed manufacturers in business, or are they made in China now also?.

mtcookson

Not made in China luckily but they are made in Germany. Best reeds I've ever used with a metal mouthpiece though. Not the greatest sound on plastic mouthpieces but still work good. I really want to buy a bari sax sometime but that will probably be down the road. When does the school year start for the Patriots?

Mom70x7

School year starts the 20th.

First scrimmage is the 29th - don't remember if the band plays for that, but the first home game is Sept. 5 - against Remington.

I don't have the full schedule yet. When I do, I'll post it, if someone else hasn't already.

mtcookson

Sounds good. I'm usually not busy so should be able to play at most of them. ;D

pepelect

Did you say Bari Sax?

Small world.....

rx and I both played sax in Highschool here in the 80s.   Mark Torkelson was our inspiration.  We had 13 pregnate, married, or both in our graduating class but still got 1's at every music competition from the State fair to Worlds of Fun.

mtcookson

I actually started on bass clarinet in 6th grade then went to the bari in 7th and never went back. I loved the bari sax. Played a bit of tenor, alto, and soprano just for fun but the bari was the best. Though the tenor does have an absolutely beautiful sound when it comes to jazz... but I still liked my low A's. :laugh:

Our music program back in Indiana was incredible. We were actually a pretty small school but almost always got top rankings. First time we ever went to state for our marching band program we actually placed 4th (though two schools tied for second so I always consider it 3rd). Our director had to move on after that year and the junior high also lost its excellent director a little while after to another school so it went downhill a bit from there but I believe its finally picking back up.

aamiller321

Quote from: mtcookson on August 13, 2008, 11:04:28 PM
I actually started on bass clarinet in 6th grade then went to the bari in 7th and never went back. I loved the bari sax. Played a bit of tenor, alto, and soprano just for fun but the bari was the best. Though the tenor does have an absolutely beautiful sound when it comes to jazz... but I still liked my low A's. :laugh:

Our music program back in Indiana was incredible. We were actually a pretty small school but almost always got top rankings. First time we ever went to state for our marching band program we actually placed 4th (though two schools tied for second so I always consider it 3rd). Our director had to move on after that year and the junior high also lost its excellent director a little while after to another school so it went downhill a bit from there but I believe its finally picking back up.
I play alto sax, I have a real nice Jupiter saxophone.
The day that you don't enjoy running around like a kid is the day you begin to die.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk