How about a thread for youngsters?

Started by sixdogsmom, August 17, 2008, 03:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

You didn't Devyn....
I didn't mean anything by it all.. only that most of us over a certain age kinda get set in our ways..and we tend to be a bit grumpy about things..  ;D

But its grumpy in a nice old kind of way..( I think)  :-\
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

dnalexander

Devynn as usual you come across as a mature young woman with wisdom above your years. You have nothing to apologize for

sixdogsmom

Ha! Flo, I fixed the title! And Devyn you aren't grumpy, just carred out! LOL! Thanks Teresa for the new kids' room. I think they just might enjoy it, and what safer place to be with all us old youngsters to supervise. We can name Diane as the nibs for spelling, Wilma for puncuation and my self for queen of typos (I already am that!) BFFs for all!!!  :D :D :D
Edie

Joanna

Quote from: Teresa on August 18, 2008, 03:09:35 PM...  8) But they will have a place to call their own without us old grumps to contend with.
Quote from: flo on August 18, 2008, 03:13:29 PM
>:( >:( >:( who you callin an old grump?
I am an old grump!  But I have been since I was a teen, so folks just have to deal with it.

I think it's okay for us to NOT like texting abbreviations, and okay to talk about not liking texting.  But it's not reasonable to talk about banning texting or people who use it.  We have to save those kind of rules to ban lawyers and bankers.  JUST KIDDING!!!

I think it's okay for people to text and to talk on the forum in text language ~ as long as they don't expect me to understand it.  And I stick to my recommendation that they be required to translate when asked  :-*  Of course, I can look them up on GOOGLE if they bug me too much.  I text Clay a lot when he's at work, so that he doesn't get interrupted while on the clock and can message me back when he's on break.  I spell everything out and use punctuation, even on contractions.  He gives me no end of grief over it too  ::) and usually answers me "K" or "Yep"

Hey!  You guys keep putting up Latin and French words, and I don't know those languages either!  Except I think that "fromage" means cheese in French (Chris' High School Language class) and 'queso' means cheese in Spanish (Clay's High School Language class).  Our family reallly likes cheese  ;D

lola330

Younger posters here on the forum might  like a separate thread, but I don't really see the need.  I have lurked for a long time before ever posting here and I have not observed anything objectionable.  Maybe annoying, but lets not kid ourselves, we all have the capacity to be annoying.  Most of the time we don't even know we are being annoying, we just are.  (Myself included!)

I finally tracked down the objectionable TEXTING post, and really people, big deal.  All I saw was one friend teasing another in a way they both can relate to.  Even though we all enjoy reading the posts, they are not all directed to everyone.  There was no harm done that I can see. If you don't understand, just ask what they meant by that. 

Why didn't a friendly forum regular let the person know in a kind and welcoming way that the texting -type of posting was annoying and hard to understand and maybe shouldn't be used in this type of forum?  Especially as this person appears to be a newbie on this forum.  

I like the idea of young adults posting with everyone else because I see you all as good examples of internet etiquette and fine friends and neighbors.  Youngsters can learn a lot here, in a safe forum.  I'm glad they prefer this forum over some of the trash they can get into on the dangerous internet. 

Teresa

It is done.. A new board is made..and the teens can post anywhere in the forum... they are welcome to roam and join in anywhere that they want to... but this gives them a "get away" place to get together with friends and talk about "stuff" ( that is interesting to them)  if they want to.
Like I said... if they use it fine.. if they don't that is fine too.

We all have our favorite boards that we frequent.. This just gives them a a favorite if they choose to use it.  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

dnalexander

Good for you Teresa. Now everyone and Heather let the youngsters know they have a board.

David

sixdogsmom

Edie

dnalexander

Since I think the Chat Shack should be for the younger generation I will post this here. Just a few guidelines that might be helpful for everyone to remember about the internet.

Educate Your Parents

Your parents spent more than a decade educating you and teaching you about things they know. Now it's your turn. Regardless of whether your parents are Internet novices or technology gurus, there are probably things you know about the Internet that they don't. This is a great opportunity for you to show them what you do online and, perhaps, help them get more out of the Internet themselves. Hey, it could be the start of a whole new relationship.

Basic Rules of Online Safety for Teens

The most important thing to remember is that when you're online in any kind of a public forum, you're out in public and anyone can read whatever you post. You should never post anything on the Internet that you wouldn't want known to the public at large. You should also remember that people you meet in cyberspace might not be who they seem to be. If you're in any type of public forum, avoid giving out your full name, your mailing address, your telephone number, the name of your school, or any other information that could help someone determine your actual identity. The same applies to your family and friends. Never reveal anything about other people that could possibly get them into trouble. The biggest danger to your safety is if you get together with someone you "meet" online. Remember, you never know for certain if people you meet online are who they say they are. If you do feel it's appropriate

Keep Your Identity Private

If you're in any type of public forum, avoid giving out your full name, your mailing address, your telephone number, the name of your school, or any other information that could help someone determine your actual identity. The same applies to your family and friends. Never reveal anything about other people that could possibly get them into trouble.

Never Get Together with Someone You "Meet" Online

The biggest danger to your safety is if you get together with someone you "meet" online. Remember, you never know for certain if people you meet online are who they say they are. If you do feel it's appropriate to meet with someone, discuss it with your parents and never go to the meeting by yourself. Arrange to meet in a public place like a coffee shop or mall that you, not just the other person, are familiar and comfortable with, and never go alone. The safest procedure is to have your parents talk with the parents of the other person and for both of you to bring your parents along on the first meeting.

Never Respond To E-Mail, Chat Comments, Instant Messages Or Other Messages That Are Hostile, Belligerent, Inappropriate Or In Any Way Make You Feel Uncomfortable

It isn't your fault if you get a message that is mean or in any way makes you feel uncomfortable. If you get such a message, don't respond. Instead, show it to your parents or a trusted adult to see if there is anything you can do to make it stop. Sending a response just encourages the person.

Talk with your Parents About Their Expectations and Ground Rules for Going Online

It's important that you and your parents are on the same "channel" when it comes to your online activities. This includes when you can go online, how long you can stay online, and what activities you can do online. Communicating with your parents doesn't mean that you have to give up your privacy. It just means that you come to an agreement based on mutual trust and understanding. While you're at it, perhaps you can help your parents better understand the Internet, what it can be used for, and how it is helpful for teens.

Guidelines for Parents

Talk with your Teens About What They Can and Cannot Do Online

Be reasonable and set reasonable expectations. Try to understand their needs, interests, and curiosity. Remember what it was like when you were their age.

Be Open with Your Teens and Encourage Them to Come to You if They Encounter a Problem Online

If they tell you about someone or something they encountered, your first response should not be to blame them or take away their Internet privileges. Work with them to help avoid problems in the future, and remember – you respond will determine whether they confide you the next time they encounter a problem and they learn to deal with problems on their own.

Learn Everything You Can About the Internet

Ask your teens to show you what's cool. Have them show you great places for teens and fill you in on areas that you might benefit from as well. Make "surfing the net" a family experience. Use it to plan a vacation, pick out a movie, or check out other family activities. Make this one area where you get to be the student and your child gets to be the teacher.

mtcookson

Quote from: Teresa on August 18, 2008, 02:10:45 PMI have had 2 members flat out say in different ways..that if the "children "continue to disrespectfully interrupt the adult conversations with their bad grammar and bad spelling and sassy attitudes.. that they will not be posting anymore.

I'm sorry... but that's the exact opposite of what a person needs to do. If someone comes in and does that, instead of leaving you need to politely correct them, kind of hint at what's expected on a forum (good english, etc.), and just simply teach them how they should act in those kinds of situations. If they aren't taught they won't learn and leaving won't teach them anything. I actually am a moderator on one of the largest Nissan forums online and have to do that all of the time. I don't "flame" them, don't put them down, I just calmly explain what is expected of them and try to teach them some decent forum (and life) etiquette. If they don't get the picture after a period of time... then you bash them and ban them. :laugh:

Quote from: Devyn-Leann on August 18, 2008, 02:50:56 PMI text. And I will be 22 on Saturday. I do spell out all words and try not to shorten anything.

Same here. I can't stand not typing words out fully... it looks too "thug" to me otherwise. :laugh:

Quote from: Devyn-Leann on August 18, 2008, 03:16:07 PMI've been in a terrible mood ever since talking to what seems like every car salesman in the Wichita vicinity. Everyone is trying to sell me what I don't want! I don't want a car, I don't want a van! Give me a pickup for crying out loud!

I recommending staying far away from Davis-Moore. Turns out they kind of screwed me on my recent vehicle purchase and I didn't realize it till now. Its mostly my fault as I didn't go over the contract very well at all but that's mostly because of this nasty habit I have in putting too much trust in people. If you do happen to go with them (really anyone for that matter) go over the contract with a magnifying glass, or even better a microscope, and be sure to read everything word for word. They'll try screwing you anywhere they can. :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk