Remember when

Started by flo, August 17, 2008, 01:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

I was watching a show on food network, "Diners, Drive-in's and Dives" and the other night saw something I had completely forgotten about that was around in my teen-age years.  Yes, I was a teenager at one time  ;D and this paticular soda fountain was making a "green-river".  Remember those drinks? AND that reminds me also, how many have ordered a "pine float"?
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

jprxmkt

Okay, I'll bite. Do you know what was in them or how to make them?

Diane Amberg

Whenever we visited Kansas we loved to get Green Rivers at the drug store. I'm not familiar with a pine float. I remember the Green Rivers being made with Green River Syrup (lime, I think)and soda water.

sixdogsmom

Pssstttt---Diane! Toothpick in a glass of water= Pinefloat!  :D :D
Edie

W. Gray

I recall suicide cokes around 1956 or so.

The soda jerk would add a pinch of every flavor he had to the coke.

A pine float was a bobby soxer definition of a cheap date.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flo

yes, a "pine float" was a toothpick in a glass of water.  That's what you ordered when you were broke.  And the green-river was lime, but Julie have no idea how they were made.  Been too many years.  There was some fizz to them, I remember.  Sorry, Waldo, we called a cheap date just that, a cheap date.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Judy Harder

Quote from: sixdogsmom on August 17, 2008, 02:59:49 PM
Pssstttt---Diane! Toothpick in a glass of water= Pinefloat!  :D :D
LOL>.......I remember that......and yes, at one time I fell for it too.!!
Was always (maybe still am) slightly naive........." I was always Country when Country was not cool"
Thanks for the giggles.

There were always dairy's that sold "Frosty's", too......kind of like a frozen malt and when dad worked evenings, Mom and my brother and sister would always walk up there (seemed like a mile, there and back......forgot Mom didn't go too far from home and when I look back it was just about the distance from the Longton Housing to maybe the Methodist church...like 3 or 4 blocks....but that was our supper (she always fixed a big meal before dad went to work and could get by with a light supper and we kids just ATE that up.....Yum Yum.!!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

A pine float...now that's cute! :laugh:

Teresa

Here is a "Remember When.....

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

I am guessing that Woolworth menu is from the late 40s to early 50s.

We had both Woolworth and Kresge dime stores in my hometown downtown and each had a counter diner.

As I recall they usually had a Blue Plate Special.

I can recall 15 cent pie slices but not the other food prices. Village Inn has pie slices for 3.00 to 3.50 and I will bet the size is much smaller that Woolworth had on hand.

Odd, there is no hamburger offering under the sandwich offerings.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk