Not Here's and Left Here's: What would make you move to Elk County?

Started by Tobina+1, July 30, 2008, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Hi David, it seemed like ever time you got to go Snipe hunting it was in the dark of the Moon and they just won't go in to a pillow case unless the moon is full. I was born and raised in Elk County and hunted everything that lived there and I have never heard of the Creeper.
Uncle Frank

dnalexander

Uncle Frank, I think Uncle Fear would have been out with his mules hunting that Creeper? Diane are you pulling my\our leg?.

David ??? ;)

frawin

Diane Amberg

You'll have to look it up in "Tall Tales of Old Kansas." It would be far too big to go in a snipe hunting sack. They are/were very reclusive and shy and never were seen very often. Frank, you never smelled a slightly musky oder that wasn't quite skunk? Were you hunting at night?

dnalexander

Diane is that a book? Whatever it is I need to find it. I love tall tales, mythology, and ghost stories. Tell me where can I find this Tall Tales of Kansas that you mention.

David

W. Gray

I could not find anything called Tall Tales of Kansas in Alibris but I did find a new book called Kansas Tall Tales on amazon.

Would that be it?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Nope....It's a brand new book and the Elk County Creeper will be the first story in it. ;D ;D ;D. David have you read the ones that do exist? Ghosts of Southeast Kansas by Cheryl Carvajal. Haunted Kansas by Lisa Hefner Heitz and the two by David Dary. True Tales of Old Time Kansas, and More True tales of Old Time Kansas

dnalexander

Diane those are all new to me. I have a couple by S. E. Schlosser that are about California, Alaska, Kansas, and Missouri the states that influenced me growing up. I will have to check your suggested reading list out. Thanks.
David

Judy Harder

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 01, 2008, 05:39:29 PM
You'll have to look it up in "Tall Tales of Old Kansas." It would be far too big to go in a snipe hunting sack. They are/were very reclusive and shy and never were seen very often. Frank, you never smelled a slightly musky oder that wasn't quite skunk? Were you hunting at night?

That would probably the OLD COON hunters  coming in from an all night  hunt and after they had raided the CORN-LIkker

or our hay crews that come in from working on a hot summers day.
Creepy creatures, we have some of those too.....but usually they don't mean any harm, just make sure you check the out-houses before you lock up at night.If you lock up.

Tell us more Diane........I hadn't heard of this either.

But, I do believe there are wild hogs running in the back 40's and the wilderness we have around here along with blackbear and pumas and other critters that we were told did NOT live in Kansas any more.  There would be plenty of game around here and really rural spots to have dens/lairs.

So who can say that this isn't fact.
This could be very good topic to get started and see how fast it goes along.
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Judy, I know lots of responsible, reliable people that have seen the Cougars  over the years and i believe they are in the area.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk