Not Here's and Left Here's: What would make you move to Elk County?

Started by Tobina+1, July 30, 2008, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanCookson

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 31, 2008, 09:05:42 PM
But you'd better warn them about the Elk County Creeper. You wouldn't want to scare any newcomers.

Tell me more about the creeper.....Wait, maybe not

Diane Amberg

You don't know about your Elk County Creeper? How can that be? That story has been around since the area was settled back in the early 1800s. and maybe even before.

Jo McDonald

Well, don't just sit there, Diane, tell us what it is.
I don't go back as far as the 1800's, but this is the first time I have heard of such a thing.
  OK ---get set ---   GO -- start typing.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

W. Gray

I have never came across a creeper either.

Richard Graves was the first settler in 1856 but he was run out.

There were 19 settlers in Godfrey County in 1860.

Numbers began arriving in the north around 1866, or so.

Could you be referring to Elk County Pennsylvania?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Nope, southeastern Kansas. The Creeper is supposed to be a large, slim, boar hog sized animal, with short legs. It has dark brown to black thick wiry hair with a lighter underbelly. It has large dark forward facing eyes that reflect light and short round furry ears. The short legs have cloven hooves like a small cow. It has a medium length brown and white tail that stands straight up. It is very shy and nocturnal. It is thought to eat grasses and plants, as no harm to animals or attacks on people have ever been documented. There is some thought that it might be able to climb trees, but that has never been documented either. It has a rather musky odor and has been heard to make a soft "woofing" sound as it rushes away. It is thought to hide in cedar thickets during the day. It was sometimes briefly seen during coyote hunts many years ago. It is not known if small populations may still exist in isolated areas. 

Wilma

I'll bet that was what was on my front porch last night that Bud was having fits about.

indygal

Do ya think that's what washed up on the shores at Montauk?
;D

Diane Amberg

I doubt it. That thing was nasty looking. Of course even a dog looks bad after it's been in the water long enough for the hair to come off and decomposition to really set in. Yuck.

Catwoman

Sounds to me like those wild pigs that my uncle hunts down in TX.  As far as I know, pigs can't climb trees, though...although, I've known some two-legged swine that were quite proficient at that activity. ::) ::)

dnalexander

Diane I think I may have heard about the Creeper one night while I was out hunting Snipe with a flashlight and a pillow case. Are you sure this is not a story one of my Uncles told you?? LOL  ??? ;)

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk