Howard Fair

Started by pepelect, July 18, 2008, 10:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

Why couldn't we do the movie thing every weekend?  I'm sure that we could russell up some sheets.  Longton used to do movies on the side of the grocery store on main street.  Back in the Regan years when I could still chase blondes I went to one in a vehicle without a back seat even.  It was as close to a drive in as you could get in Elk county.

I think that we could build up the local events to a larger scale by spending a little money on more regional advertising.  There are people is surrounding areas that would come to events we have here but find out about them after the fact.   

I think that the newspaper does a good of reporting the news but maybe we should advertise in it before the events happen.  I don't mean a blurb on the coming next week is the fair.  But a full page get some attention from the people kind of a thing. 

One or two full page color ads in two or three editions and Rudy could at least buy some deck shoes or a life jacket for the wife. 

Rudy Taylor

Yes, yes, I like the way this conversation is going!

By the way, Patrick, I talked to your wife at the fair and she claims you are officially addicted to the forum.

Isn't there a pill for that malady?
It truly is "a wonderful life."

frawin

Patrick, has any thought been given to a Ranch Rodeo and Chuck Wagon Cook-off. This type of Rodeo is very popular in West Texas and brings the locals and area people out. It is not as expensive as a regular rodeo as the participants in a Ranch rodeo are vying for the honor and bragging rights and not the money. If there is any interest in it, I could put the powers to be in touch with the people in West texas that put it on every year. The events are Wild Cow Milking, Branding, Penning,, etc.

Sarah

Quote from: frawin on July 21, 2008, 08:50:33 AM
Patrick, has any thought been given to a Ranch Rodeo and Chuck Wagon Cook-off. This type of Rodeo is very popular in West Texas and brings the locals and area people out. It is not as expensive as a regular rodeo as the participants in a Ranch rodeo are vying for the honor and bragging rights and not the money. If there is any interest in it, I could put the powers to be in touch with the people in West texas that put it on every year. The events are Wild Cow Milking, Branding, Penning,, etc.

I'd come just for the wild cow milking!  LOL  Fun to watch someone else besides me get kicked once in awhile. 

I think advertising in surrounding counties would be a good idea.  Not sure the best way to reach people, maybe several different ways would be best.  You'd probably draw more people from other counties, especially Greenwood and Butler I suspect. 

I like the idea of the movie night.  Maybe not every weekend, but once a month would be neat.  Or just at the fair.

Someone mentioned about more open classes at the fair.  A couple of years ago me and the kids did have rabbits in the open class, but we were the only ones.  We didn't do it again after that.  Just not much fun competing against ourselves.  I think it would be nice to have more open classes though.  Also, perhaps a dairy goat class?  Now I haven't been to the livestock show last year, but the year before there were sheep, but no goats. 

Lookatmeknow!!

There was open class at the Howard Fair for animals.  Just no one brought any.  We usually, the kids and I, take things to the open class.  I just haven't had time to make much.  I wanted to take some of our chickens, but just didn't have the time.  I don't think Longton has open class animals this year.  At least that is what I was told.  The Jr. Leaders are having a younger kids showmanship contest the same night as the Adult Round Robin.  If you have questions about what they are having at Longton call the extention office, Lori or Richard will tell you.  We are preparing for the 4-H fair this week.  The oldest daughter has her sewing done, her buymanship is almost done, her woodworking is done, her foods are not going to be done till next week, her painting is done, and her sheep are pretty well done, I guess.  This is why we didn't have time to enter things for this fair.  Just to much going on.  I tend to spread myself to thin, and no more of that!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

W. Gray

Just received my Flint Hills Express for July 16.

An item mentions $250 in total prize money being awarded in the various categories for this year's fair.

If we go back to that first Howard County Fair at Longton in 1872 and the second at Howard City in 1873, both fairs had a total of $355 prize money awarded.

If one uses an inflation calculator, $355 in 1872 is equal to $8,727.47, today.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Marcia Moore

That is right.  I have noticed for years the Chautauqua, Elk and Greenwood County Fair Boards do not give out near enough prize money.  They would certainly get more entries if they paid out more.  Nowadays, the gas money to take your entries to the fair and pick them up costs more than the prize money you might win. 

sixdogsmom

I used to enter things in the Sedgewick county fair on a regular basis. I always just signed and returned my checks to the fair board. I entered for the fun anyway; they always had a nice little fair although it was getting pretty commercialized the last few times we attended.
Edie

frawin

I use to enter a Mare and Colt and other age group horses every year and it was just for the ribbon, fun and bragging rights.
Frank

W. Gray

Even if one does not take inflation into consideration, prizes in 2008 are almost one-third less than they were in 1872 and 1873.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk