Elgin Connection

Started by W. Gray, July 16, 2008, 08:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

tawnyca1

Here's an interesting "Tinker" twist:

General Hewitt went to Europe in January 1944 to become supply officer of the 41st Combat Bomb Wing, and in November of 1944 was appointed executive officer. Two months later he became chief of the Maintenance Division of the Eighth Air Force Service Command there and assumed command of the 44th Air Depot Group in the European Theater in November 1945. The following July he became chief of the Maintenance Division at Tinker Field, Okla.; was appointed deputy for maintenance in January 1947; and in June 1948 was named director of maintenance at Tinker.

This is coming from Osage Joe Revelette's grandaughter, Major General A.G. Hewitt was my Dad's father. 

evanstrail

The map I posted, was the earliest of many maps I found that show that "Proposed New Post 1867."  The exact same map shows up under various other publishers names until at least 1895.  

As for why that location would have been considered for a military post, I can't find any information on the topic online.

My speculative opinion would be that since this is the immediate post-Civil War time period, a time of many treaties with the Cherokees and Osages in which they had to make concessions because parts of their respective tribes fought under Confederate flags, that maybe the Army wanted a post there to control or prevent travel by the Osages from their new home (Osage Reservation) back into their former hunting grounds (the middle and western parts of the Osage Diminished Reserve, which they had just or were about to relinquished).  The Big Caney Valley would have made a logical route northwest and then due north to intersect the Black Dog Trail, and other indian trails running east-west across what are now Chautauqua, Elk and Cowley counties.

Elginite

Marica
i would really be interested in reading theinformationyou have gathered on the Boulanger area.

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Marcia Moore

Removed.

evanstrail

Found another map, Section of the Map of the States of Kansas and Texas and Indian Territory, with parts of the Territories of Colorado and New Mexico From the most recent official surveys and explorations and under authentic information. 1867 , published by the Government Printing Office:

http://contentdm.baylor.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/19wor&CISOPTR=882&CISOBOX=1&REC=1

March 06, 2013  The above link is dead.  This is the new link to the map:
http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/tx-wotr/id/1170/rec/1

It has the proposed new post, trails all over what is now Osage County, OK and a route taken by a Lt. Col. Morrison that approximates the Cherokee Trail from the main Santa Fe Trail southeast to the Kansas Line, intersecting what we commonly call the Black Dog Trail.

The viewer allows high zoom levels with very good sharpening at each level.

evanstrail

Marcia,

In your research of the area and conversations with residents has the story of Opothleyahola's flight to the north with his loyal (Union) Creek Indians (and other refugees) come up, with or without reference to Artillery Mound?  Fleeing from their defeat near Skiatook on Dec 26, 1861 they traveled to Fort Row near present day Coyville, with the first groups (numbering around 2,000) beginning to arrive the middle of January, 1862.  Eventually from eight to ten thousand loyal refrugees would arrive in the area.

Little has been written about the route taken (that is available online anyway) but I wonder if they may have traveled through the area we have been discussing then north and east across Chautauqua, and possibly a portion of Elk, counties on their way to northern Wilson County.

Your thoughts?

sixdogsmom

I think there is a marker for this trail south of Caney; it seems to me that I have seen others also. Anybody?
Edie

Marcia Moore

Removed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk