Hi! My family is really interested in moving to Howard, Moline, or Severy, KS

Started by Samantha, June 30, 2008, 07:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Samantha

Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

frawin

Samantha, one negative I thought of today was that Kansas has state income tax, which Texas does not.
Frank

Samantha

Yeah we noticed that.  How does a state income tax work?  Do they take the taxes out of your refund?

Your sales tax is lower than ours.  Ours is 8.25% and yours is only like 6%
Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.  *James F Byrnes

Mom70x7

Taxes - most companies that take out fed taxes also take out state.

Somewhere else you asked about the Elk River Festival.
The Elk River runs just south of town.
The festival itself is held in town.

As you can tell, most of us are quite passionate about our area.

There are rivalries between the schools and the towns, but for the most part the rivalries are friendly and we all get along. If one community were to have a disaster, the others would immediately jump in and help. There's a trust and faith among the people here that runs deep.

Thanks, Judy, for adding the Longton Christian Church. I knew as soon as I started listing them, I'd forget one.  ;)

And that's another thing, Samantha. We have a good Ministerial Alliance in the county. Every 5th Sunday during the year, the churches all get together for an ecumenical service. Both the location and the speaker rotate among the participants. Different churches provide specials and we eat afterwards. Good fellowship.

heather_tyler_2014

yep that is sure right debbie

Sword with a double edged blade...it'll cut you either way.

Mom70x7

Heather,

5th Sunday was fun. The specials were all good and the ministers even did one! :o
They sang "bub-bub-a-bubbling" while the offering was collected. The men did the background and Susan Galvan and Chan Lovelace sang the melody. Robin Haines and Ron Bradley were supposed to snap their fingers in time to the music. That was comedy relief!  :laugh:

Next time is in August, at the First Baptist.

Mom70x7

QuoteI really appreciate all of ya'lls help!  We were thinking about driving up there this weekend or next just to look around (its about 6 hours from here)  Where is the nearest hotel?

Are you going to come for a visit?
In addition to the bed and breakfasts mentioned earlier, there's also the Silver Bell Motel in Longton - (620) 642-6145. Longton is a little bit east of Howard / Moline, but in Elk COunty.

We'd all love to show you around.  :D

DolphinsLEM

Samantha,

There was a girl scout troop in Severy, I'm not sure about Moline.  In Severy it would met on Tuesdays in the school cafeteria right after school.  But I don't know what they are going to do now that there is the school change.  Maybe there might be older scouts in Severy and younger scouts in Moline.  Don't know exactly though.

Samantha

Quote from: Mom70x7 on July 04, 2008, 12:17:46 AM
QuoteI really appreciate all of ya'lls help!  We were thinking about driving up there this weekend or next just to look around (its about 6 hours from here)  Where is the nearest hotel?

Are you going to come for a visit?
In addition to the bed and breakfasts mentioned earlier, there's also the Silver Bell Motel in Longton - (620) 642-6145. Longton is a little bit east of Howard / Moline, but in Elk COunty.

We'd all love to show you around.  :D

We are going to come look around.  Not sure which weekend it will be.  My sister is due any day now and we can't leave town until she has the baby, but we're looking at the first weekend after.  We will sure let yall know when we come so yall can meet us if you want!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk