Moline Round House

Started by LisaT, June 26, 2008, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpbill

I well remember the Doodlebug but my memory tells me it went from Coffeyville to Wellington.  To go to Wichita, you had to get off the train at Winfield and take the bus on to Wichita.  Anyone else remember that agenda?

W. Gray

Doodlebugs could have been used anywhere but I found this related to the area for the 1920s.

By the late 1920s, there were 14 passenger trains a day on the Santa Fe stopping in Cherryvale. These had connections at Kansas City, east to Chicago and west to Los Angeles and San Francisco. They also traveled south to Coffeyville and Tulsa, with connections to the Gulf Coast. A doodlebug (motorcar) traveled west out of Cherryvale to Independence, then through Moline to a connection at Winfield to go north to Wichita and Newton, where connections could be made for Kansas City/Chicago or Los Angeles/San Francisco. At this time the Santa Fe had one agent, two clerks, and two telegraph operators on duty at the Cherryvale depot. The depot was open 24 hours a day.

http://www.leatherockhotel.com/railhist.htm

I was not aware that Cherryvale was so rr busy. They apparently had around 4,000 people in the late twenties.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

The most famous "Doodlebugs" were the Galloping Gooses on the Rio Grande Southern.

All Lisa wanted was a photo of the Moline roundhouse and all she got was a bunch of doodlers.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

sixdogsmom

Edie

Flintauqua

Waldo, the link to the Moline ATSF page is a typo, or has recently changed.  It is now:

http://atsfrr.net/resources/Sandifer/Howard/Moline/Moline.htm

I love that page.  It is a wealth of information about Moline.  It includes links to scans of the Sandborn maps of the areas along the railroad.  I wish it had links to the full Sandborn maps of Moline.

The single track on the left in the pictures ended behind the Curly Q, just past the old Elevator.  It is called the Webb Spur as it served the large U shaped conglomeration that housed various enterprises associated with the Webbs  The existing rock building used by Mills Feed and the Curly Q were the north ends of this origional U-shaped building. 

The roundhouse curve is the last curve you go around as you are headed out of Moline going west.  The engine house was just east of the highway on the north side of tracks. 

W. Gray

Thanks, good information.

After taking another look at the photos, I see now they had the "engine house" marked off in red on that very corner.

There is a distinction between engine house and round house so they must have changed the round house into an engine house at some early point.

Looking at the map there is a huge wye east of town formed with the Howard Branch and that wye would have allowed them to turn locomotives and long trains and they could get along without a round house.

I am assuming LisaT has never found a photo.

Flintauqua

Waldo,

In other topics you have posted a lot of names of railroads that were proposed but never built in this area.  Where do you get your info?  I have done research in the past (at college) but never could find good hard evidence, only second or third hand references to these aborted railroads.  Have you found any of this info online, and if you have are you willing to reveal links to it?

W. Gray

Which ones are you referring to?

I have read, that is scanned, most every Elk County newspaper on microfilm from 1871 to 1880.

Some information came from there.

Other information came from two web sites concerning failed railroads.

One of those sites seems to have disappeared, there is one at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_defunct_United_States_railroads

Flintauqua

I was refering to ones you had written about in a topic about Sedan:

"Santa Fe never made it to Sedan. The editor may be thinking of a proposed extension of the Elk & Chautauqua Railroad. That company was part of the Kansas City, Emporia, and Southern Railroad. Santa Fe leased the entire line, which at the time ended in Howard. The intent was to extend the road south to Sedan and into Indian Territory, but it never happened. The line reached Moline the following year and stopped.
There would never be a "Union depot" i.e., one centrally placed railway station jointly owned and used by two or more rival railroads. Other railroads slated for a Sedan connection also did not make it. These were the Moline and Sedan Railway; Wichita, Douglass, and Sedan Railway; and the Grenola, Sedan, and Elgin Railroad. These roads did not live past incorporation papers."

The extension from Moline to Sedan I was aware of, but this is the first I've ever heard of the WD&S and the GS&E.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk