JUST A PERSONAL OBSERVATION

Started by frawin, June 26, 2008, 08:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

If this offends anyone -- accept my apology before I get started. 
  If the NCAAP would butt out of all the crap they bring up -- the racist thing would definitely cool down.  Any little thing that comes up -- they jump on it like a dog on a bone.  I personally find them VERY agitating, to every issue, large or small.

Now ~~ hear this....my favorite Winn boy is GOOD - KIND - LOVING - SHARING - HELPFUL and NOT RACIST IN ANY SHAPE NOR FORM 
Can you tell, I really, really like this man???

Have a happy day, Frank!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Jo, thanks, you made my day and we think you and Fred are very special also. You set a great example for young people in Howard. You and Fred were both super hard workers and an inspiration to all who knew you. Just observing your Daughters, their Philosyphy, hard work and dedication and your Grandchildren and their work, dedication great attitudes is a credit to you and Fred and the success you have had in the most important venture that we take in life, our children. YOU AND FRED HAVE A GREAT DAY
Frank

frawin

Jo, I agree with you!!!  He's my favorite Winn Boy too!  Thanks for the kind words!
mlw

Tobina+1

MY personal observation is that everyone on this thread is taking things a little out of context.  I believe the root of this conversation is the differences in the way natural disasters in the heart of this country are dealt with compared to the way they have been dealt with in other areas of the country... like New Orleans.  I don't think racism has anything to do with it, nor has anyone intended to be racist.  I think we in the Mid-West, should be insulted that our natural disasters don't rate much more than a news story on TV.  And, like in Frank's original post, that no celbs or big disaster-relief programs have been rushing to our aid.  BUT, we should be proud that we don't need to rely on those people or programs, either.  We have the "neighbor effect" working to our advantage, and don't have to worry about looting and stealing and shootings.  If half our belongings floated downstream, it's more than likely that someone downstream will find it and bring it back to us. 
I think these were good observations, Frank.  Thanks for making us realize where we live and how to appreciate our situation, even in the darkest of times.  And thanks to all my neighbors... near and far (and those who's hearts are in the midwest)... for being a good, honest, hardworking person.  You make me proud to be your neighbor!

dnalexander

Unfortunately some disasters are not big enough or media sensational enough to get the help they need.  I am interested in what help is needed in the midwest floods. From what I can find out many companies are donating\helping directly in the region, Red Cross, United Way, and Congress just approved $2.5 billion. It's frustrating that what we hear about the Midwest Floods is different from the reality. It seems we did not learn anything from the Katrina disaster. What help needs to be done. Gives me one more thing to send Congress along with my Energy Crisis complaints. There are people outside the midwest that care.

David

Tobina+1

Quote from: dnalexander on June 27, 2008, 01:11:02 PM
There are people outside the midwest that care.

Sorry, David.  I was grumpy this morning (12 am getting home and not a pleasant flight getting here) and I didn't word things quite correctly.  Yes, many people outside the midwest care.
Quote from: Tobina on June 27, 2008, 11:21:15 AM
(and those who's hearts are in the midwest)...
I guess I just get tired of celebs making such a big deal over other disasters just for their own media coverage. 
That's an excellent question about what can and needs to be done in the flooded area.  Again, not much media coverage on what help can be given.

sixdogsmom

One thing that could be done is not build any more levees and build in the flood plain. Most of these areas are the same ones that flooded in 1992, and were not supposed to be built on. It is like buliding multi-million dollar homes on the costal plain and expecting John-Q taxpayer to bail them out when (and not if), a hurricane comes by. Flood plains are just that; a place that floods. Maybe not every year or every ten years, but building in these areas needs to be stopped. Again, I sympathize with the people whose homes and livlihoods were lost. A visit needs to be paid to the great floods of 1932; long before my birth but it devastated many communities along the Mississippi river. At that time, many communities were not built back because of the flood danger. But through the years, profit and greed has overcome caution once again. And by the way, there was a tremendous outcry for the treatment of the people by the federal government as a result of that flood. If we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it over and over.
Edie

dnalexander

Tobina no need to apologize that is the way you felt and it brings up a very important topic. Here in California right now we have over 1000 wild fires burning. This is something that happens every year and will kill 20 to 50 people, destroy hundred of homes, and cost a few billion dollars- every year. The reason it is not a complete disaster is because of the  "Mutual Aid" pact that exists between fire departments all over the US. (Currently 41 states are contributing teams) Hopefully we can extend this well honed "Mutual Aid" machine to other types of disasters.

SDM, The real point is not to say don't build where there are hurricanes, tornados, floods, earthquakes, no food, no water, no jobs, tsunamis, typhoons, wildfires, hail storms... have we run out of places to live yet?.  But to help those in need when and how we can.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk