Is My Pet Normal?

Started by indygal, June 21, 2008, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

My puppy eats ice cubes like they're candy. She even likes them better than her regular treats. Is this OK?

Catwoman

Sure...my cat loves to have ice cubes put into his water bowl...I guess they're just 'people' who enjoy cold items, just like anyone else (lol).

indygal

That's entirely possible. And ice is probably a healthier snack than a Beggin Strip. I'm wondering if the ice-crunching will harm her teeth since dentists tell humans not to do it. I'm pretty sure Mini is starting her teething stage, and we've really been lucky so far that she's content with plastic water bottles, her bones and chew toys. We haven't suffered the loss (yet!) of any table legs, furniture stuffing or clothing. She's chewed laces off one pair of sneakers and loves to shred napkins/paper towels/newspaper. She does love to chew, but so far she's been very good about leaving people stuff alone.

Roma Jean Turner

In humans, if I recall, a craving to chew ice is related to anemic conditions.  Might have her vet do a simple blood test to rule that out.  Just a thought.

Teresa

Extraordinary Mothers

This will warm your hearts...

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

flo

makes a person all warm and fuzzy inside.  Nothing replaces a mother's love and instinct.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

Marcia Moore

Our beagle, Baxter, loves ice water, but we cannot give him any if our other dog is inside.  Our other dog, JoJo, is 1/2 rat terrier and he loves to "bob" for ice cubes, after which he lays them down on the floor and walks away.

D Whetstone

Indygal and all, I feel compelled to post here.

Ice is not good for dogs, or us, for that matter.  Chewing ice is a risk for cracking/breaking a tooth. And when this happens, it usually breaks  into the pulp cavity. Very painful. If this happens to you, you will be in the dentist office, emergency room, etc to get it fixed (root canal, crown).  Same thing can happen to dogs. I see it commonly.  In dogs, the tooth is usually extracted (pulled). Can do root canal and/or crown but most don't want to pay  that expense.  Dogs do fine w/out the tooth.

FYI...there is no relationship between anemia and craving ice.  Anemia may cause an increase in water drinking.  My wife has a theory on why people chew ice but I don't think I can share that here.   ;)

David

Teresa

I chew ice..

Maybe you better tell me why I do it.. ( or on second thought.. maybe I don;t want to know..  ;D ;D)

( PS~~ I only chew ice if it is the soft kind of ice.. not the hard clear kind.

Does that help my "case' any?  :D :D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk