I Wish That the City of Howard would--------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

And all this because a little tree across the street from me needs to be cut away from the utility pole that it is calling momma.  It isn't causing any problems----yet.

Believe me, if the city had to take care of the sidewalks, I would have some that I could roll on.

frawin

In both Midland, Texas and here in Bartlesville, the sidewalk is the reponsibility of the property owner. In the house we just built, the builder/developer put in all of the sidewalks, and now it is up to us to maintain them. Frank

W. Gray

When my folks moved back to Howard, my Dad inquired to city hall about the dilapidated condition of the sidewalk along the front of his property.

They told him the sidewalk was his and the city had no responsibility.

He said you mean I can do anything I want with them and they said yes.

So he went home, tore the sidewalks out, and planted grass.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

twirldoggy

When I said sidewalks, I was refering to the sidewalk downtown.  I have seen the elderly fall and be verry bruised up/  I myself fell several time trying to walk around the downtown area. 
wonder if the business owners are responsible for the sidewaolks.

W. Gray

On one of my recent trips to Howard, I went to downtown Augusta where there were many sidewalks being torn up and redone.

When I mentioned the construction to the business lady, she said that she was glad it was a city-wide beautification effort. Otherwise she would have to do the replacement herself but could not afford to redo her frontage walk.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

That would be a great idea for the downtown area.  I wonder if there are any types of grants available for such a peoject???????

Jo McDonald

In the year 1986 I bought the building that I remodeled and which became The Touch of Country Beauty Salon...(my dream come true)  The sidewalk was absolutely terrible...Fred and I were so worried that someone would fall because of it, and be injured.  My personal liability insurance was pretty expensive...so to protect myself I asked the city if they would fix the sidewalk.   I was told the sidewalk was MY  responsibility.  I had Ron Johnson pour me a new sidewalk --- and it improved the appearance of my business and I felt much better about the safety of those walking on it.  But I really was surprised that the city sidewalks were the sole responsibility of the business person. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

flo

the sidewalks in front of this house I bought are horrible.  Worst is where the "city" torn them up to, I assume, lay water and sewer lines because the water meter is right there.  I inquired about repairs and was told it would be my responsibility.  Sorry, when they figured my social security they forgot to include "sidewalk repair"  :-\
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

pam

I don't know about Kansas but Missouri has a grant program for redoing downtowns. They have done a LOT of work in downtown Neosho on the square. I think some of it was because the buildings had historical status, it really looks a lot better than it used to.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

hhjacobs

I read in the local paper that the city is pumping water out of a  building that belongs to a person,not the city. WHY are we doing this? The person who owns this building should have to do this. We as tax payers don't want our taxes raised to pay for other peoples stuff they should be doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk