I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Gee

Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

S-S

My 1/2 hog is still at Family Tree hanging out. Haha. It will be ready Saturday. He went in whole. 1/2 is ours, the other 1/2 goes to Billy's parents.

We have a cow butchered each year and it's more than enough meat for the three of us. We also have deer and turkey. Ground turkey is bland so it's just used in chili and tacos and things with a lot of seasoning. I think our beef is delicious. You can definitely taste the difference between home-raised and store-bought. Sorry Family Market!

Tobina+1

:P  Yes, they're in sides and we split the hog with someone else.  I should have stated 1/2 pork, as "pork" is the meat and "hog" is the live animal.  "Beef" is the meat, and "cattle/steer/cow" is the animal.

To elaborate on the beef thing, the AGE of the animal also determines the flavor and tenderness of the beef, as well.  Cows and Bulls vs. Steers and Heifers. 

S-S

We have a steer butchered. Billy would shake his head at me had he known I typed cow.

He had a bull with a broken leg a few years ago and shot it. I asked him why we couldn't have it butchered and he gave me "the look" and told me bulls aren't good meat. He'd really only make hamburger.

I also got "the look" when we got our first rooster. I innocently asked if roosters laid eggs too.  :-[

Lookatmeknow!!

And you can't raise chicks with out a rooster!!!! :laugh:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on October 20, 2008, 10:16:37 AM
Tobina, I am going to be picky and ask you,  How do you take half a hog to the butcher?  Forgive me.

LOL gee you beat me to that question.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: CDBL on October 20, 2008, 12:48:53 PM
My 1/2 hog is still at Family Tree hanging out. Haha. It will be ready Saturday. He went in whole. 1/2 is ours, the other 1/2 goes to Billy's parents.

We have a cow butchered each year and it's more than enough meat for the three of us. We also have deer and turkey. Ground turkey is bland so it's just used in chili and tacos and things with a lot of seasoning. I think our beef is delicious. You can definitely taste the difference between home-raised and store-bought. Sorry Family Market!

How much did it cost for the butcher and processing.

srkruzich

Quote from: CDBL on October 20, 2008, 12:48:53 PM

I'm thinking of raising turkeys for ground meats and sausages this coming year.  Plus take biggest ones and use for
turkey dinners. 
Probably smoke some too MMmmmm

srkruzich

Well i may have a few goats for the freezer this coming year too.  I am hoping i get twins off of widget my alpine
goat. My lamacha Amazon i don't know if she got bred yet.  She's a bit young.

pam

QuoteI'm thinking of raising turkeys for ground meats and sausages this coming year.  Plus take biggest ones and use for
turkey dinners. 
Probably smoke some too MMmmmm

I raised some kickass turkeys when we lived in Severy still. The bronze turkeys, the one we smoked for thanksgiving weighed like 25 pounds dressed. I want to get some more when I get a varmint proof pen for chickens and turkeys.

We fed out a hog last winter and butchered it ourselves, it was good too.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk