I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry wagner

Unless it has changed, that was the last thing that my dad taught me.  However, I believe this argument centers around burning the flag as a statement of protest.

greatguns

Okay, just wanted to make sure it was okay under the right conditions before someone saw me and decided to hurt me. ;) ;D ;D ;D

srkruzich

Quote from: greatguns on October 04, 2008, 08:37:48 PM
Okay, just wanted to make sure it was okay under the right conditions before someone saw me and decided to hurt me. ;) ;D ;D ;D

There is a proper proceedure and ceremony for the disposal of old flags. Burning it in public is NOT the proper way.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

The American Legion in Moline host a flag retirement ceremony every so often. It is quite touching to witness the ceremony that honors what a little bit of cloth and some dye represent to this country. I usually have a full sack of flags to add to the barrel, as I not only have the flags that were flown over Dons' grave, but I visit the dumpster at the cemetary after Memorial Day and rescue all the flags that have been discarded there. I am certain that I have a reputation of being a bit 'tetched' for going through the dumpster and taking out the flags and reusable flowers. I clean the flowers and donate them to the church so the soldiers' graves can be decorated the following year. We have soldiers that go back to the civil war in that cemetary, and all should be honored every year.

As an aside, there is an old military grave on the east side of the cemetary that is home to some rather large lizards. I often drive through there just to witness those guys basking on the tops of the fallen tombstones. They are as much a part of that cemetary as any of my familys' graves.
Edie

Tobina+1

Wow!  More interesting road grading has been going on!  I'm really starting to see the changes in the roads!  No, not miracles, but every little hole that doesn't return when it rains again is one less I hit with my car! 
And note to anyone who doesn't drive the county roads often (and even those who do)... watch out for the loose gravel and soft sides.  Once everyone starts to drive on the now-wider roads, the edges will harden back up, but just be careful in the meantime!

Catwoman

I can remember driving those roads...caution is the best defense until the roads stabilize.

pepelect

I wish elk county would....

Buy all the power we can from the wind farms that are going to built here.

Eat beef grown in Elk county.

Eat pork grown in Elk county.

Never eat chicken.  no matter where it is grown as yard bird is bad and will always be bad.  One exception Prairie Chicken.

Advertise elk county.  Why do we have people coming from as far away as Florida or Georgia to hunt or fish here and no one knows it?  Where is the giant come to Branson sign for Elk Co?  There isn't even a sign to get you off 400 highway.

Build a rock quarry.  I would like to see how much it would take to build and process our own stone.  Competition is a beautiful thing if you have no competition you have no reason to do a better job.  We have one of the greatest rock strata's in the state but only one or two producers.  We have two fairs.

Have one fair...At Moline....in 2009.

srkruzich

Quote from: pepelect on October 10, 2008, 07:59:42 PM

Eat beef grown in Elk county.

Eat pork grown in Elk county.
Both are bad for your health!  I'm not allowed to eat either anymore....

QuoteNever eat chicken.  no matter where it is grown as yard bird is bad and will always be bad.  One exception Prairie Chicken.
Chicken is gooood, especially fried up in buttermilk batter, or barbq'd over hickory logs! mmmmm

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina on October 09, 2008, 04:49:50 PM
Wow!  More interesting road grading has been going on!  I'm really starting to see the changes in the roads!  No, not miracles, but every little hole that doesn't return when it rains again is one less I hit with my car! 
And note to anyone who doesn't drive the county roads often (and even those who do)... watch out for the loose gravel and soft sides.  Once everyone starts to drive on the now-wider roads, the edges will harden back up, but just be careful in the meantime!

Uhmmm rock road is still a pit.  :P  I got high centered yesterday.  My tires sank down into the muck in the road trail and the center of my truck sat right down on solid ground.

Lookatmeknow!!

I am kind of offended by the remark that Elk County Beef and Pork is bad for you.  You might not be able to eat it, but I know that our beef and alot of the people in Elk couny feel the same, is much better than what you buy at a store.  My husband and I are so used to our own beef that we really try not to buy any other places.  I have also eaten Elk County Pork.  Please tell me that you mean that it is bad for you.  Because it's not bad for our family!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk