I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

We have driven across this great country of our many times, and I'm telling you that the flashing school signs/lights are a wonderful thing.  Many small towns and even larger ones do not have a speed slow enough to stop an 18 wheeler - nor a pickup truck towing a 32" fifth wheel, if suddenly there is another vehicle or a child on a bike appear from the school area. The lives of all are more than worth the few minutes it takes to "creep" through a school safety zone.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

pepelect

Daughter #1 will be driving a 2 ton bullet proof flat bed pickup with big ass tires and a cool radio.  Grill guards, Nerf bars, bale spikes, and of course it will shake the ground before you even see her so stay out of the way.  We have a deal with Zimmerman,  no insurance,  and we send all the bodies to him.

Those in small town schools need flashing light because they have students walking to and from school...Who walks down the highway?  If they do they are a target.  We have a fine district funded less hazardous access road that enters at Elk Street.  Is that annexed to the city also?  We should build sidewalks and lighting so if it is dark they will not get scared of the evil doers.  What is the point of the stop sign north of the bus pickup/drop off?  Why doesn't the access road have to stop not the buses as they have just pull out from the curb.   Do we have a new brake salesman that needs to meet quota?   Why don't we put a video camera facing south from the new dumpster hider/storage room on the southeast corner of the school and monitor the student vehicular activity.  That way when some perfect athlete's mother will have something to look at when they tell her why the wrecker was called.

Why did we have to annex the school yard but not the school?  Which department is responsible to the fire calls from the school city or county? 

Lookatmeknow!!

I do have to say, I think it is a good thing. I have called the sheriff's office a time or two, about this side road from the high school.  I have a fenced in yard at the daycare.  Elk street runs in front of it, and everyday you can tell when school lets out.  They spin around the corner at Elk and Olive.  It upsets me, because you can't tell when I young child is going to try to out run you.  I think anything to slow them down.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Diane Amberg

How about portable cameras that photograph speeders' license plates? We also have portable signs that show you your speed as you pass by. The police will monitor those areas for a time after the signs have been up. If things improve, the signs are moved elsewhere.

sixdogsmom

Speed bumps is about the least expensive, and longest lasting solution.
Edie

Diane Amberg

I agree, but I hate 'em! especially during the winter.

sixdogsmom

I hate 'em too, but they certainly do the trick!  ;)
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on October 02, 2008, 11:05:30 AM
How about portable cameras that photograph speeders' license plates? We also have portable signs that show you your speed as you pass by. The police will monitor those areas for a time after the signs have been up. If things improve, the signs are moved elsewhere.

Its unconstitutional.  The constitution guarantees you the right to a trial and to face your accuser and question your
accuser.  The photograph and speed trap machine can't answer questions. 
Plus
Those radars are inaccurate. They are beat eveyr day in a court.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

jerry wagner

It isn't unconstitutional, just less reliable as a witness, however, some state courts have disagreed.  But I must point to the fact that if you stole from a store, and were videotaped in the process, there is a good chance that you will be found guilty, so why excuse someone speeding on camera?

jerry wagner

Also, it is interesting that as a person interested in protecting the rights of others you will protect the rights of a speeder, who is caught on videotape speeding, however, would you defend someone's right to burn the flag as an expression of speech?

Would you protect the right to choose?

Would you protect the right to be Mirandized, despite the fact that many conservative justices have scaled it back over the past 10 years?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk