I wish Elk County would----------

Started by Wilma, June 17, 2008, 03:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

Probably not and meanwhile, teach the children that when they hear a vehicle coming, get off the road.  If I remember right the ditches are non-existent and if the roadside is kept as well mowed as Bill Rader used to keep it, it is easy enough to get over to a fence and stand there.  You should probably hope that they don't get hit by a flying rock, too.

Tobina+1

YES, I think there are "children at play" signs that you can buy and post.  I see them around different areas, and also in towns.  You might want to ask the county, but I think you can buy them somewhere if they don't have any.

Sarah

Quote from: Wilma on September 25, 2008, 10:28:11 AM
Probably not and meanwhile, teach the children that when they hear a vehicle coming, get off the road.  If I remember right the ditches are non-existent and if the roadside is kept as well mowed as Bill Rader used to keep it, it is easy enough to get over to a fence and stand there.  You should probably hope that they don't get hit by a flying rock, too.

We have done that, but like one day my daughter was on her bike and she pulled over into our driveway when a semi can zipping down the road and he saw her and went over to the right, but there was another truck following too close to the other one in his dust and couldn't see my daughter.  Another rancher coming from the other way saw it and started blaring his horn.  The semi slowed down and missed our daughter by no more then a foot.  :( 

They really drive way too fast out here down our road with no regard to people or animals that are in the road.

Wilma

I know that road really well and there has always been people that drive too fast on it.  They thought my father was an old fogey that wouldn't go any faster but he was caring for his vehicle and tires.  He didn't have nearly the flats that some of the neighbors had.  I have never figured out why they are in such a hurry.  It's like hurrying in Wichita.  You hurry, pass everybody, then stop at the next light and let them catch up with you.  What's the point?

I don't know that there is any solution to the speed.  Speed signs would be ignored, just as the 55 mile per hour speed on rural roads is ignored.  The children, for their own safety, will have to understand that they need to get away from the road.

Lookatmeknow!!

Do you know our dog got hit about 2 weeks ago, too.  But it's the dogs fault I am sure.  I was out at the mailbox getting the mail and another car was coming and my dogs chased the car.  If they can't learn not to chase the cars, then I guess they are putting their own self in danger.  I hate that it got hit, but I also feel that sometimes dogs chase the cars, and no matter how fast people are going sometimes the dogs just don't get out of the way.

I have small children, too.  I really won't let them ride their bikes in the road, one we are close to a little hill and two, the road that I live on is a busy road.  But they so sometimes walk to their grandparents house just down the road.  We do have nicer ditches, so they walk in them.  But you are right, the farmers that are pulling trailers and stuff do really drive fast on the dirt roads.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

greatguns

Drive fast maybe you can get there before the slice makes your tire flat.  I'll still slow down and have less flat tires.

greatguns

Two years doesn't mean much, the question is how many miles do you put on them in that two years?

Sarah

Quote from: greatguns on September 25, 2008, 03:41:40 PM
Two years doesn't mean much, the question is how many miles do you put on them in that two years?

Try 10,000 miles and most of that's highway.  I stay off the rock roads as much as possible with my van. 

Our truck is going to need tires again, but we haul water with it, so on top of rocks it has a lot of weight in the back.  But they're 12 ply tires.  We don't get flats from the rocks too much with those tires, but the rocks are chipping and sanding away at the tread.  But like I said, with the weight of the water, that's not really surprising.

Sarah

Quote from: Wilma on September 25, 2008, 12:41:03 PM
I know that road really well and there has always been people that drive too fast on it.  They thought my father was an old fogey that wouldn't go any faster but he was caring for his vehicle and tires.  He didn't have nearly the flats that some of the neighbors had.  I have never figured out why they are in such a hurry.  It's like hurrying in Wichita.  You hurry, pass everybody, then stop at the next light and let them catch up with you.  What's the point?

I don't know that there is any solution to the speed.  Speed signs would be ignored, just as the 55 mile per hour speed on rural roads is ignored.  The children, for their own safety, will have to understand that they need to get away from the road.

I think all the big trucks, bull haulers, hay haulers, rock trucks, dump trucks use this road because it's a road that actually goes all the way through and it's relatively flat so they can get up some serious speed going down these roads.  But I still say that doesn't make it right.  You're not allowed to drive that way through residential areas, so why on dirt roads where there's houses?  shrug

I might look for the signs.  :)  Maybe that'll at least make them aware that sometimes there are small children out near the road.

Wilma

That road might also be the longest straight stretch of road in Elk County.  Makes a good speedway.  Maybe a "Cattle Crossing" sign would slow them down.  I have seen signs that say "Children Present" but only in residential neighborhoods in town.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk