School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 30, 2009, 07:40:35 PM
Quote from: ADP on October 30, 2009, 07:21:26 PM

Why is this an issue for a school bond?  The picture isn't even that good.  If you would have used your head you would have gotten pictures of the inside up through the roof.  Sensationalism sells to the masses.

Excuse me? I have already said that I thought the flyer was amusing, but I had nothing to do with it!

I didn't mean you did.  I will change the text to say what I meant.

sixdogsmom

Karen as a teacher, you are more than welcome to post in this section as far as I am concerned. As a taxpayer, and as a voter, I hope that voters will realise the uncertainty that building a building for a shrinking student population will bring to our school district. We can only look for the entire district to be combined with another, and there is no building that will change that. Wishes will not change that, and outside money will not change that. The state as well as other states are having to cut budgets just as I am having to do. I cannot see that  paying for a building will in any way stop this certain tide. It is coming; just a matter of when. A bond will have to be paid regardless; if the state combines our district with another, we will still have to pay. I cannot see spending money on a building when we already have two acceptable buildings. Combining a lunchroom to save money? Surely they do not think that you can feed three hundred forty five people for the same cost as one hundred thirty five? I squawk about taxes and will probably continue to do so, but I would like to see my tax money used for something we really need.
Edie

pepelect

Yes you can feed 345 students cheaper in one kitchen then you can feed 345 in three. 

If we are combined with another district our bond payments liabilities will be combined with another districts. 

One huge district is still going to require you to pay taxes for one huge district.  What will be the big difference?

The state is asking districts to become more efficient.   If we are more efficient then neighboring districts then what is the issue?

In your sky is falling theory:  Our district will not be combined with anyone.  It will be absorbed by a larger district.  When they get the students they get the funding from the head count of those students.  At that point we no longer exist.  Instead of having a representative from each area/town we will be a part of a larger district.  Our board member might be the one for Elk county or the one for Ek/Cq.  Who knows?   This is your nightmare.

We have three acceptable buildings.  The newest one is currently outfitted as a high school and two are sharing the role as elementary.   We could better utilize limited funding by eliminating the two and building one. 

in 1952: If you had ten kids you would most likely drive huge bus like passenger van. Or you would drive two 1952 six passenger vehicles. One for each half or your flock.    If they all grow up and move out, at $3.59 a gallon, you would not continue driving large highly expensive van when you only need a two passenger car?   You would sell the vans and buy a more economically powered vehicle that would meet your needs.   You would not keep driving an expensive gas hog when a cheaper more efficient car would serve you much better.   You could put a new motor in the 52's but they would need brakes, a new transmission, batteries, the list goes on.  Even a few years ago you had custom wheels and a new paint job,  the they are still '52 models.  They don't have airbags.  The radios are only am.  There is no power steering. 

You would spend the money and buy a new car.  It would cost you money up front but with the money you would save on fuel alone,  you would come out better in the long run. 

wasadeay

Wow.... So much information,  definitely a lot to process, and many factors to consider.  

Quick Question:  ???  How many positions within the district will be eliminated?  

Am I correct in assuming that  if the bond passes many jobs  like teachers, secretaries, certain para positions,  library/computer aids, classroom aids, cooks and janitors would be cut due to redundancy?  Any information on the numbers or the plan for how this will work?  

Jane

I have a question from a remark on an earlier post. Can you explain why the roof in the high school is leaking? I realize it is 30 years old but with proper maintance it should have been taken care of or is it a money issue? If it is a money issue how will you have the money to keep up the new school building? If the bond is passed will some of the money be used to fix the roof?
Jane

srkruzich

Quote from: Jane on October 31, 2009, 07:43:35 AM
If it is a money issue how will you have the money to keep up the new school building? If the bond is passed will some of the money be used to fix the roof?
Jane
Uhmm Raise taxes??
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Joanna

I remember that this information had already been posted about funds for repairing the roof at the High School.

Quote from: L Hendricks on October 23, 2009, 07:05:53 AM
Citizens are suggesting repairs to existing elementary schools as an option.  The only money we have for repairs is what the district has been able to set aside over the years and it equals $650,000.  Currently that money is on hold waiting to see what happens with the election - if the bond passes then that money will be used to make the roof and metal sheeting repairs to the high school.  IF THE BOND fails then the board has looked at using that money to make the existing high school campus the CENTRALIZED campus - through some sort of temporary classrooms.   With school finance, if we need 1.5 million dollars to do repairs on one of the elementary school, the only way we can get that money is through the Local Option Budget (LOB).  Our current financial situation doesn't allow for us to raise that extra money because we have maxed out the LOB - we cannot raise it anymore. The money we currently raise with taxpayer money pays for the operating cost of the district.  The only way for taxes EVER to go down is with a yes vote.  Both Longton and Sedan are post bond years, and have decreased their LOB.  With a no vote, you are guaranteed to keep the school taxes high and most likely see decrease in programs - like Vo Ag, Arts, Music, Woods, Home Ec (Facs), Spanish, Business - all important aspects of a well rounded education - especially for students that may choose to go straight from high school into a career.

greatguns

Does anyone have an answer or an idea to Wasadeay's question?

pepelect

Quote from: wasadeay on October 31, 2009, 01:01:16 AM
Wow…. So much information,  definitely a lot to process, and many factors to consider. 

Quick Question:  ???  How many positions within the district will be eliminated? 

Am I correct in assuming that  if the bond passes many jobs  like teachers, secretaries, certain para positions,  library/computer aids, classroom aids, cooks and janitors would be cut due to redundancy?  Any information on the numbers or the plan for how this will work? 
The only person that could make that recommendation would be the superintendent and as with anything that has to do with the school system the school board has the final say.  They will not say definitely what the option for the future is without the  results of the bond election.  There is a board meeting the week after the bond election on Tuesday.  There are too many possibilities to consider without having all information.   

pepelect

Quote from: Jane on October 31, 2009, 07:43:35 AM
I have a question from a remark on an earlier post. Can you explain why the roof in the high school is leaking? I realize it is 30 years old but with proper maintenance it should have been taken care of or is it a money issue? If it is a money issue how will you have the money to keep up the new school building? If the bond is passed will some of the money be used to fix the roof?
Jane
The roof on the high school is thirty years old.  Most roof systems have a 50 year life span unless you have much more expensive materials.  The roofing contractor stated we would need to think about a new roof in the next 7-10 years.  We didn't have that much money in the seventies either.  The roof and curbs have had work done on them since we changed from total electric to natural gas and propane years ago.  The roof is a low slope commercial roof and needs maintenance for the life of the building.  Materials are available that can and will extend the life of the roof but you have to patch each hole that comes up or replace the entire thing at once.  The current holes are being patched as they are being found. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk