School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookatmeknow!!

Sixdogs, there has been other daycares in Howard before and there are two in Moline.  And it really doesn't matter if there are more.  If need be I will close my doors.  It won't change the fact that I feel that a new school is what is best for the whole situation.  My family is from Severy.  I have lived there all my life until I graduated and went off to college.  I have ties to Severy. I don't want to see the building closed, but in the same sense I want my children to get the same education that they have been getting.  If we continue to run the way that we are, something will have to give, and it worries me what it will be to close to my childrens education.  I also taught for a couple of years in Moline, so I hate to see the school closed there too.  But what is any other options?  Putting the grade schools in the high school just won't work.  I don't see how we can offer the programs for the Jr Sr high and take away rooms from them.   We can really add on to the old building, as Pep noted.  It would be really costly.  So if you can give me a really good reason besides MONEY, I am voting YES!!

I believe that the Lord provides for us.  Just ask and if its in the plan it will happen.  I rely alot Lord, and especially when it comes to providing for my family.  When I was asked to quit from the school, I was heart broken and just had my second child.  The Lord opened doors so that I could stay with my children and still provide for them.  Times have been tough really tough lately, but I feel in my heart that YES is the only option for my children.  I would do anything for my children and so would most parents.  I guess I am also one of those that are emotionally attached, but not to one certain building.  I am attached to this district.  I want what is best for my children, especially their education.  I would rather see the district bulid a new building then put up portables.

Well, I said enough.  Just to emotionally attached to WEST ELK!!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

patriotdad

Quote from: sixdogsmom on October 28, 2009, 07:51:17 PM
Computers are not the answer folks, they are a tool only.

No, please don't teach my kid the computer. It's a fad, like disco.  It's going away and will be nothing more than a museum piece.   HOLY COW!!!!  I can't think of a job that doesn't use computers and computer software.  Medical, Financial, Industrial, Agriculture.....everything.  The information in the library is important, but all that information is now passed through computers.  Computers are the answer. 

sixdogsmom

You quoted me out of context, Mr.Pd. Of course computers should be used in education, please read the REST of the story! ???
Edie

srkruzich

Ok, using a computer has been made chimpanzee simple in todays age.  2 year old children can run one, 3 year olds can find their little sites by themselves with a web browser its so simple. Learning software is like uhmmm easy.  Anyone can sit down with a dummy book and in 1 hour pick up the basics of any package.  So why waste dollars teaching something that most kids already know in school.  Shoot the school my kids went to had more troubles with the students hacking the servers and the teachers didn't know 1/10th of what the kids knew.

As far as programming the computers, thats easy too.  Just teach them logic flow and they can program a computer.   Its not like when i was growing up where we had to actually program them in machine language, or when the first wordstar came out and you had to know the control characters and letters to do a certain function that you now can do with a mouse and two clicks.

I doubt your going to teach any kid today anything about a computer, unless they get into OS specific courses, and networking/sans, wans, sonar, and fiber.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Sarah

Quote from: srkruzich on October 29, 2009, 07:26:42 PM
Ok, using a computer has been made chimpanzee simple in todays age.  2 year old children can run one, 3 year olds can find their little sites by themselves with a web browser its so simple. Learning software is like uhmmm easy.  Anyone can sit down with a dummy book and in 1 hour pick up the basics of any package.  So why waste dollars teaching something that most kids already know in school.  Shoot the school my kids went to had more troubles with the students hacking the servers and the teachers didn't know 1/10th of what the kids knew.

As far as programming the computers, thats easy too.  Just teach them logic flow and they can program a computer.   Its not like when i was growing up where we had to actually program them in machine language, or when the first wordstar came out and you had to know the control characters and letters to do a certain function that you now can do with a mouse and two clicks.

I doubt your going to teach any kid today anything about a computer, unless they get into OS specific courses, and networking/sans, wans, sonar, and fiber.

You took the words out of my mouth.  When I was going to school there were no computers in the school except in the library.  My dad had one at his work that I used a couple times for writing my composition papers, but other than that, I never really sat down at a computer until I was almost 25 years old and now I am VERY proficient on a computer and I've never had any special classes to "teach" computer.  Most families these days have computers and so kids are exposed to them from the time they're born. 
Steve is right, my 3 year old and 5 year old are very proficient on the computer and at finding what they want.  They're not hard to learn and EVEN if you learn "computer" in school, that doesn't necessarily prepare you for the program you'll be using wherever it is that you work and most colleges supply all kind of advanced computing classes these days. 
The library have computers?  Yes.  Each student have their own laptop?  I don't know about that. 

flo

I agree that for children now, computer knowledge is very necessary.  Also necessary is the ability to do things the "long hand way" because, believe it or not, computers do "go down" and try to get any information from somewhere when that happens.  Try to get someone under the age of 50 to count your change if they don't have a computerized cash register (and most of them are) to tell them how much change you have coming (and then they just plop that amount into your hand without counting it. Proper english, spelling, punctuation, form, etc. is very necessary in the business world, even if it's being typed into a computer, and don't wait till the 11th grade to try to teach it to them so they can graduate (or is it even required anymore?)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

srkruzich

Quote from: flo on October 29, 2009, 08:35:07 PM
I agree that for children now, computer knowledge is very necessary.  Also necessary is the ability to do things the "long hand way" because, believe it or not, computers do "go down" and try to get any information from somewhere when that happens.  Try to get someone under the age of 50 to count your change if they don't have a computerized cash register (and most of them are) to tell them how much change you have coming (and then they just plop that amount into your hand without counting it. Proper english, spelling, punctuation, form, etc. is very necessary in the business world, even if it's being typed into a computer, and don't wait till the 11th grade to try to teach it to them so they can graduate (or is it even required anymore?)

Hey now, i am under 50 and i count change quite well!   In fact i usually have the total of my order already added up including tax and give them a 20 and when they push that 20.00 in the register buttons, and open the drawer, i mess em up and give them the change too so they wig out when the total doesn't match what is on their screen.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Sarah

Quote from: flo on October 29, 2009, 08:35:07 PM

I'll have to second Steve on that.  Not only am I under 50, but under 40......barely, but barely counts.........and I know how to count back change.  ;D

Sarah

Oh, and my husband said he was running a restaurant when he was 21 and he said that yes, they did teach how to count back change in school and he's under 50 too.  ;D

But yes, I do know what you're talking about Flo.  Just giving you a hard time.  :angel:

sixdogsmom

Steve, you are a mean, mean, man!  :D
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk