School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jane

The way I understand it the only people that will be taxed are the ranchers, business owners, land owners and  anyone else that owns something. So if you rent or are retired you will pay nothing, am I right in thinking this way?????
Jane

srkruzich

Quote from: Jane on October 24, 2009, 08:09:43 AM
The way I understand it the only people that will be taxed are the ranchers, business owners, land owners and  anyone else that owns something. So if you rent or are retired you will pay nothing, am I right in thinking this way?????
Jane

Uhmm most folks that are retired own land, homes, cars, ect
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

pepelect

Your property tax will increase 17.5mills.  It doesn't matter how many times you ask the same questions the answers will always be the same. If the tax isn't already paying towards usd282 on the bottom of the tax statement then it won't in the future tax statement. The bond doesn't affect your car sales taxes.  As there has never been a school district tax on personal property tax on rented property there still isn't one for the bond issue. 

In other words the same people that have been paying for the school for the last thirty years are still going to finance the school for the next thirty. 

Option c is to have a big bake sale.  I say option c but c is for cookies and you get more money from pies so it should be option P.  If you price pies at $10 a piece you would only have to sell 555,000 of them the first year.  Then you are done.    But if that didn't fullfill the goal then you would have to sell 37,000 a year plus an additional interest of 23,587.5 each of the next 15 years.(this is a linear compounding of interest in the real world the amortization schedule would dictate the annual  principal and interest payment amounts )
MOLINE ELEM - WEST ELK USD 282
   Elk County
   416 N Plumb
   PO Box 306
   Moline, KS 67353-0306

CURRENT STATUS: Open

BUILDING #: 2444                 

BUILDING TYPE: Elementary         
   YEAR BUILT: 1952                  DATE OPENED: 08/01/1952

SEVERY ELEM - WEST ELK USD 282
   Elk County
   203 S Severy
   PO Box 187
   Severy, KS 67137-0187

CURRENT STATUS: Open   

BUILDING #: 2448                 

BUILDING TYPE: Elementary         
   YEAR BUILT: 1956                  DATE OPENED: 08/01/1956

Wilma

Jane, I am retired, I own property (real estate) and I fully expect to pay my share of whatever it takes to keep our school in Elk County.  My brother owns property in Elk County and he might complain about the taxes, but it is his choice to own this property and along with ownership comes responsibilities.  Besides I will remind him of the choice we made a long time ago in going to a smaller school that is no longer there because the community couldn't afford to keep it.

Sarah

And what is the mil levy tax in Elk county?  Like $23 a mil?  Is that right?  So, it would raise it about $390 some odd dollars?  Is that right?

Rudy Taylor

Again, I will stay out of whether you should vote yes or no.

But ad valorem taxes are composed of both Real Estate Taxes and Personal Property Taxes.

When you buy a car tag in Elk County, you certainly do pay property taxes on it, and a portion of it is distributed to the specific school district where you live.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

I would like to add this about renting. If you rent, you have a landlord who pays taxes on the property that you rent. When the landlords' taxes go up, then your rent will likely do the same.
Edie

pepelect

Property tax, millage tax, or ad valorem tax relies upon the fair market value of the property being taxed. The property tax rate is often given as a percentage. It may also be expressed as per mill, which is also known as a millage rate or mill levy.

Property taxes are imposed by the state, counties, cities, and all other taxing entities that levy ad valorem tax and/or special assessments. The millage rate is usually determined by county commissioners, city council members, and school board members, respectively. The taxes fund budgets for schools, police, fire stations, hospitals, trash or waste collection, sewers, roads and sidewalk maintenance, parks, libraries, and miscellaneous expenditures.

Property tax applies to both real and personal property. Real and Personal property are subject to the same levy rate. The characteristic that distinguishes real property and personal property is mobility. Some real property examples include; land, structures, improvements to land, and certain equipment affixed to land or structures. Some personal property examples include; automobiles, aircraft, watercraft, mobile homes, trailers, heavy trucks, commercial machinery and office equipment.

Non-ad valorem, non-mill levy or special assessments may often be confused with ad valorem property tax. Special assessment relies upon a special enhancement called a "benefit" for its justification.

By state law, the County Treasurer is responsible for the billing, collection and distribution of taxes based on the tax roll received.

The mill levy is applied to the appraised value of your property. The appraised value of your home is multiplied by an assessment percentage of 11.5% to find the assessed value. This assessed value is again multiplied by your mill levy and the product is divided by 1000 to get the amount of property tax you owe in Kansas.

Rudy Taylor

It truly is "a wonderful life."

sixdogsmom

I have just left the West Elk website, and am a little astounded to find there is a complete section designed for promotion of this bond issue that used West Elk students and school equipment. This is disturbing to me, as I feel students are being taught the wrong thing; that is, where the money and influence lies, there goes public funds. I am currently searching for a    
figure on the number of households in USD 282, as that figure times the 44 cents mailing expense required per household adds up to a hefty sum in my estimation. I am speaking of the glossy mailing campaign for the bond issue that is labled as coming from USD 282. At 1000 (My guess) households, that means half a thousand of my tax dollars used and does not include the production, or the printing on professional glossy paper. It also does not include the employee time spent producing address labels, the cost of labels, ink, and employee time to mail all these. This is beginning to stink IMHO!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk