School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

[quote author=ladyD I Know it must be confusing to some that dont attend the information meetings and board meeting and SPECIAL board meetings.  There has been several things discussed and for several years.  The construction of a new building was the last issue at hand.  The one before that was being at one central location as we have to close both schools because of the lack of funding and high cost of mantenance of both buildings. Informed Voters understood if you voted yes, we would be building a new building, and voting no meant we wouldnt spend 5.5 million on a new building, but put pods, trailers or what ever at the high school.  If they wanted to know if you wanted to centralize our district they would have used that question on the ballot. 

Understood? I don't think so.  >:( The board has not voted to close both elementarys and move portables into Howard Kansas. I know that the superintendant has said that; not only to several community groups he spoke with, but to a Kake TV reporter. He says it is a done deal, but at least one board member has stated just this week that this is NOT a done deal, that the board has not voted to do that. This is an embarrassment for our district to have a superintendant telling a reporter something that was not true. You can assume anything you want LadyD; you can assume that I am old and uninformed, that I am stupid, but you cannot assume that I will accept that this superintendant is not overstepping his place.
Edie

Patriot

Quote from: sixdogsmom on November 13, 2009, 01:37:34 PM

Understood? I don't think so.  >:( The board has not voted to close both elementarys and move portables into Howard Kansas. I know that the superintendant has said that; not only to several community groups he spoke with, but to a Kake TV reporter. He says it is a done deal, but at least one board member has stated just this week that this is NOT a done deal, that the board has not voted to do that. This is an embarrassment for our district to have a superintendant telling a reporter something that was not true. You can assume anything you want LadyD; you can assume that I am old and uninformed, that I am stupid, but you cannot assume that I will accept that this superintendant is not overstepping his place.

Maybe the board needs to reel him in a bit.  Especially, if it appears his motives for talking to the press are just to advance or mold public opinion to some kind of personal agenda.  He does still work for the board, no?  And, of course, at taxpayer expense.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

sixdogsmom

Edie

Mom70x7

QuoteUnderstood? I don't think so.  Angry The board has not voted to close both elementarys and move portables into Howard Kansas. I know that the superintendant has said that; not only to several community groups he spoke with, but to a Kake TV reporter. He says it is a done deal, but at least one board member has stated just this week that this is NOT a done deal, that the board has not voted to do that. This is an embarrassment for our district to have a superintendant telling a reporter something that was not true. You can assume anything you want LadyD; you can assume that I am old and uninformed, that I am stupid, but you cannot assume that I will accept that this superintendant is not overstepping his place.

At the October board meeting, the Superintendent told the board he was being asked what happens if the bond issue failed. The board said they were committed to a central campus for all students and that he could share that information. It was a 5-2 consensus, not an official vote.

MarkHall

Quote from: Mom70x7 on November 13, 2009, 04:04:13 PM

At the October board meeting, the Superintendent told the board he was being asked what happens if the bond issue failed. The board said they were committed to a central campus for all students and that he could share that information. It was a 5-2 consensus, not an official vote.

Well said... I think people are putting some words into the Mr. Reece's mouth... he spoke off camera, and it's not really fair to assume what was said to Deb Farris.. However, the clock is ticking, and like it or not, both grade schools will soon be closed. Maybe not next year, but certainly within the next 2 years or so.

The KAKE story should not have run until after the board voted to begin making the move, but the fact remains that the outlook is not good for Severy and Moline grade schools.... The KAKE story is probably very accurate - it just ran a month or too before it should have.

And I'm afraid Rick Perkins is right - there are too many people who resist change. Unfortunately towns (like people) don't stand still. They either move forwards and grow/improve, or they move backwards. My two cents.

pepelect

The high school gym has had the same roof leak in the same place next to the same Heating unit since it was constructed.  I remember hitting the bucket that was tied to the ceiling while playing dodge ball and getting wet back in the eighties.  The bucket is still tied up there but the leak has migrated 4 inches to the left causing a slow drip exactly 4 inches from where it dripped into the bucket in the eighties. It has served its purpose in its current position but now we need to change the entire scope of the operation.

I think all we need to do is move the bucket.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Diane Amberg

Just move the bucket? Not fix the leak? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DanCookson

Quote from: MarkHall on November 13, 2009, 08:57:42 PM
Well said... I think people are putting some words into the Mr. Reece's mouth... he spoke off camera, and it's not really fair to assume what was said to Deb Farris.. However, the clock is ticking, and like it or not, both grade schools will soon be closed. Maybe not next year, but certainly within the next 2 years or so.

The KAKE story should not have run until after the board voted to begin making the move, but the fact remains that the outlook is not good for Severy and Moline grade schools.... The KAKE story is probably very accurate - it just ran a month or too before it should have.

And I'm afraid Rick Perkins is right - there are too many people who resist change. Unfortunately towns (like people) don't stand still. They either move forwards and grow/improve, or they move backwards. My two cents.

Very well said Mark and I think that both you and Rick are right on the money with that analysis.

pepelect

Quote from: Diane Amberg on November 17, 2009, 08:52:53 AM
Just move the bucket? Not fix the leak? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The precedent as put forth by the voters states that unneeded unwanted acts of fiduciary irresponsibility will not be tolerated appreciated or allowed.   We are a band aid society.  We can move the bucket for less money than fixing a leak that has been that way for over thirty years so that is what we will do.   We have to save current money.  We could not risk jumping over a shiny new gold dollar to save two old pennies.

Diane Amberg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk