School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jprxmkt

Quote from: Varmit on November 08, 2009, 07:09:17 AM

Has the board considered asking the teachers to take a cut in pay?   

We already have some of the lowest paid teachers in the state. I'm amazed they stay at all given the recent show of support for our school system.

pepelect

Good news we get to shrink our school budget between $157,000 and $214,000.  Better fire up those ovens 'cause that is alot of bake sale goods.    OH.  THIS is just this year. 

This spring we are looking at a budget shortfall of $214,000 to $650,000.   

I have a plan for this:

If we make $9 per doz tacos.  We will only have to sell 72,222.  That would only be 344 per grade school student.  So every voter only needs to purchase 75 dozen.  That is not too much to ask just 1 1/2 Dozen tacos a week.  That is only 2 1/2 tacos per day.  Surely you can manage that.  Then our problems are over. 

Oh.... It gets better next year.  Only 2-3% drop.  SO there is hope.

Patriot

Quote from: ADP on November 09, 2009, 09:47:06 PM
Good news we get to shrink our school budget between $157,000 and $214,000.  Better fire up those ovens 'cause that is alot of bake sale goods.    OH.  THIS is just this year. 

This spring we are looking at a budget shortfall of $214,000 to $650,000.   

I have a plan for this:

If we make $9 per doz tacos.  We will only have to sell 72,222.  That would only be 344 per grade school student.  So every voter only needs to purchase 75 dozen.  That is not too much to ask just 1 1/2 Dozen tacos a week.  That is only 2 1/2 tacos per day.  Surely you can manage that.  Then our problems are over. 

Oh.... It gets better next year.  Only 2-3% drop.  SO there is hope.

And the point here is what exactly?
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Varmit

Shrinking budgets?...Really?...in case you haven't noticed the economy lately, everyone is having to cut back, why should the schools be any different? 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pepelect

Quote from: Varmit on November 08, 2009, 07:09:17 AM
Hope we don't lose the math teacher.  At $30,000. for each position listed that total would be $300,000. not $210,000. 
Let's assume we use Grenola math.  $650,000 divided by $30,000 for each teacher equals 22 teachers.

-21.667 to be exact. 

What the kind of school system can you run with no teachers?  Who cares what your views on public schooling or private with no teachers you have no school.  What else is going to make that big of an impact. 

Get rid  of field trips. Get rid of athletics.  Get rid of supplementals.   OK that is about 50k. 

WHAT else must go?  Busing?  Where is the big thinking outside the box?   

We have been looking at this for 4 years, it should have been looked at for the last twenty but no one wanted to talk about it.    We have had open public meetings for the last two years with members of the communities Severy, Moline, and Howard.    All meetings have been open with an invitation to anyone to attend.  If you live in a  spider cave or tunnel you might have not heard of this process but it has been going on for a very long time.  Elk county is not that big.  IF some one farts the other side of the county smells it.  If some unnamed Patriot doesn't feel patriotic enough to register to vote before being told to, what kind of patriot are you.   You don't register to vote for a cause.  You register to vote when you turn eighteen.  Then you re-register every time you move.  Period.  We have old dogs griping about spending tax money on a flyer and an apostate saying they should have sent two earlier in the year.   Sorry we had to wait on a cheap printer instead of spending tax money on a high dollar glossy from Kinkos. 

I want to know what you armchair quarterbacks have come up with in the last week that is going to make this much impact.  You sit on the sidelines in anonymity and complain about the way every thing has been handled.  So come on show me that superior intellect you are so proud of.  Use the big words.
Every bit of information about any public school can be asked for by anyone. Most of it is available on line at the KDE website.   If you think my dissemination of information is biased and half truths then look the crap up your self.  You can type can't you? 

If you are too dense, thick headed, or just too stubborn to get my point and I will spell it out for you exactly:

Where do we save $500,000 right now?

Anmar

Just to chime in, people keep saying things along the lines of "so what, everyone is cutting back"

Thats not really true.  The economy here in northern california is starting to turn around.  I hear from friends in other parts of the country that its picking up there too.  Theres hope!!
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on November 10, 2009, 01:39:09 AM
Just to chime in, people keep saying things along the lines of "so what, everyone is cutting back"

Thats not really true.  The economy here in northern california is starting to turn around.  I hear from friends in other parts of the country that its picking up there too.  Theres hope!!

California is bankrupt, maybe industry is picking back up maybe not.  But it sure isn't picking up in other major cities.  Atlanta is total devestation right now.  By the way no jobs are being listed on the job boards it appears KC, chicago, Dallas are all taking a nosedive too.  There is no recovery going on on a national level.  Sorry but thats a myth right now and you haven't even factored in the hyper inflation that is happening.  I have seen groceries rise 60 dollars in the last three months.  Its fixing to hit the fan when investors start putting their money back into stocks and all and none of us are going to be able to afford anything when that happens.

Round here, there are no jobs.  Along with the inflation, the taxation, the coming taxation, where are people supposed to come up with more money for schools.  You gotta take care of your family first, then worry about things like schools.  If the taxpayer is cutting back then so should the goverment. Period!

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: ADP on November 10, 2009, 12:24:56 AM
If some unnamed Patriot doesn't feel patriotic enough to register to vote before being told to, what kind of patriot are you.   You don't register to vote for a cause.  You register to vote when you turn eighteen.  Then you re-register every time you move.  Period.  We have old dogs griping about spending tax money on a flyer and an apostate saying they should have sent two earlier in the year.   Sorry we had to wait on a cheap printer instead of spending tax money on a high dollar glossy from Kinkos. 

I want to know what you armchair quarterbacks have come up with in the last week that is going to make this much impact.  You sit on the sidelines in anonymity and complain about the way every thing has been handled.  So come on show me that superior intellect you are so proud of.  Use the big words.
Every bit of information about any public school can be asked for by anyone. Most of it is available on line at the KDE website.   If you think my dissemination of information is biased and half truths then look the crap up your self.  You can type can't you? 

If you are too dense, thick headed, or just too stubborn to get my point and I will spell it out for you exactly:

Where do we save $500,000 right now?

Goodness, gracious!  Feel better now?  

As for this Patriot (nice shot, btw), I am registered to vote, have been for ages... and I do vote regularly.  Any earlier reference I made to notices sent out after the voter registration deadline was to illustrate poor management, and it was not a complaint that I wasn't able to register in time to vote.  Sorry that wasn't clear to you.

As for your little taco rant in re your earlier post last night... that just reinforces previous character observations.

Now, since your diatribes seem to infer that those who voted and/or spoke against the bond are somehow responsible for the budget shortfalls, how about you tell the whole story!  Those shortfalls are the direct result of reductions in funding from state and federal subsidies!  They have NOTHING to do with the bond or a new elementary school on the West Elk High School campus.  The cuts are the result of budgetary cuts outside Elk County.  Anybody with half a brain, a newspaper, and some sense of history has known for months that top end budgetary cuts were coming.  As were freezes in Social Security increases, service reductions, increased unemployment and higher taxes in other arenas.  Maybe, just maybe, the 'old dogs' have acquired some sense of these things over their years.

Where does the district save $500,000 right now?  I really can't say.  Looks like those who are on the payroll and in elected offices (voluntarily in the kitchen, so to speak) have some serious work to do and some really hard decisions to make.  Decisions that I surely don't envy them having to make.  I'm sure the taxpayers and voters are watching with interest.  Oh, and before you attack that last statement..... remember that's how it works in a representative republic.  It's not up to the voters to 'make those choices'... it's up to the voters to evaluate the management skills and actions of those they elected to make those choices.  And the 'dogs', both old and new, as citizens have every right to bitch all they want (see: US Constitution, Amendment I).

You did make one observation that's absolutely correct.  This should have been dealt with years ago!  

The proverb goes like this, "A wise man sees trouble ahead and maketh preparations."

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on November 10, 2009, 08:06:29 AM

Where does the district save $500,000 right now?  I really can't say.  Looks like those who are on the payroll and in elected offices (voluntarily in the kitchen, so to speak) have some serious work to do and some really hard decisions to make.  Decisions that I surely don't envy them having to make.  I'm sure the taxpayers and voters are watching with interest.  Oh, and before you attack that last statement..... remember that's how it works in a representative republic.  It's not up to the voters to 'make those choices'... it's up to the voters to evaluate the management skills and actions of those they elected to make those choices.  And the 'dogs', both old and new, as citizens have every right to bitch all they want (see: US Constitution, Amendment I).

You did make one observation that's absolutely correct.  This should have been dealt with years ago!  

The proverb goes like this, "A wise man sees trouble ahead and maketh preparations."

Good advice.  I think that asking people to cough up more money for anything, by raising taxes is morally and ethically wrong when it would put people out of their homes.   There is not such a need for services that would warrant someone losing their home.  Not a thing in this world is worth that.  Time for government across the board to go on a starvation diet!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: Anmar on November 10, 2009, 01:39:09 AM

Ok, this is just too easy, Anmar.  "... here in northern california ..."

So you are truely a gift from the Golden State!  And the northern part, no less.

Does that make you our.... San Francisco Treat?   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk