School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanCookson

I plan on going to the meeting on the 10th, as I have a little one who attends school in Moline and wishes to stay there.  I agree with(don't remember who) in a person should be armed with some facts and not just wants when attending meetings like this.  As I have been telling my daughter, who is only 6, we don't get what we want just because we want it.  It has to make common sense and in this case, financial sense.

For instance, some of the things I am going to look into before addressing anyone is the actual amount of money it takes to run each school.  Maintenance costs, energy costs, personnel costs, etc.  These costs need to be looked at in the event that one or both of the current schools have to be shut down. 

Another thing that I have not done my research on, but mind you I will is the number of administrators currently employed by our district.  If enrollment is falling at the rate that is reported, surely we could do with one or two less vice-principles or something along those lines. 

We CANNOT get serious about anything until these costs are looked at and some cost cutting options are discussed.  With the price of energy and fuel skyrocketing, future cost of operating and school and a school bus are going to have to be part of the discussion. 

It is hard to look at this problem rationally and analytically because it involves something that is so personal and emotional.  Hopefully the board will be open to some discussion and at least have some new facts and figures to base the decision on, not just a spur of the moment knee jerk.

Dan

DolphinsLEM

Dan,
  I am not sure if the highschool has a vice principal but neither of the elementary schools does have one.  We had Marsha Evenson (at Severy) acting as principal when Mrs. Hugill was not at Severy but that was to make sure there was someone in charge when Shirley was not there.  She was also doing this because she was going to school to be an adminstator.  This year they have hired a new principal for Severy and Mrs. Evenson is no longer with us.  So like I said I don't know if they do have a vice principal at the highschool but neither of the grade schools  does.

Wilma

What about the shortage of teachers?  How can that be resolved?

DanCookson

Lookatmeknow!!

You are right about hiring some.  I think that would be great, but they have the two jobs posted on-line and last I heard they couldn't find anyone yet.  The pay here in the West Elk District is not the best.  I think it is hard to attract newly out of college teachers because many of them don't want to live in a small town.  I would if I was them, but then again I am older and have my family.  I know that Sedan does pay better than we do but not sure about surrounding areas.

You are right about the cost of things going up.  I don't know how they are saving any money by moving the schools like this.  Yes, they are only having to hire two teachers, but the cost of fuel would be outrageous I would think. 

I think that we are going to lose alot of kids due to the changes.  I personally will still be sending my kids to the school they are to go to.  I don't like it, but I am not pulling my student out of a school that does such a wonderful job teaching my children.  I want the best education possible for my kids.

Do you really think they are going to change their minds?  I don't.  If they are having trouble finding 2 teachers what do you think they will have when trying to find 4?  I think if they were really concerned what parents and the community thought they would have had the meeting right after the announcement of the changes.  That is my opinion!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Tobina+1

Thank-you, Angie.  And Dan.  For choosing to keep your kids in the school district, even with the recent uphevel in the system.  I thank you because I don't have kids (yet) and when I eventually do, I hope to heck there is still a school district in tact in this county.  And the only way there will be is if people like you continue to have the faith that change isn't all bad, and "something's gotta give" for things to get better.

Diane Amberg

Just out of curiosity, what is the average size of your elementary school classes? Number of kids I mean.

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, they really vary.  My oldest is going to be in the 5th grade and she has or had around 20.  My middle one is going into kindergarten and I think at last count only 7.  But the average is I am guessing around 10-15.  Does that sound about right??  Somebody else might have a better idea, but I think that is a good average. :angel:
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

DolphinsLEM

I would say Angie is about right about the average size of the classes.  I don't know what Moline had last year.  But as for Severy the preschool total (Am and Pm) we had 13, Kindergarten had 10, 1st grade had about 15 or 16, 2nd had about 8, 3rd had about 8, 4th had around 20, 5th had about 8 and 6th I think had around 15.  So it just varies depending on the year. 

Teresa

Quote from: Tobina on July 01, 2008, 03:52:16 PM
Thank-you, Angie.  And Dan.  For choosing to keep your kids in the school district, even with the recent uphevel in the system.  I thank you because I don't have kids (yet) and when I eventually do, I hope to heck there is still a school district in tact in this county.  And the only way there will be is if people like you continue to have the faith that change isn't all bad, and "something's gotta give" for things to get better.

Tobina .. when you ever do have kids.. I imagine that you're posts will have a bit more emotion attached to them.
It is easy for those who have never had that "mama and papa bear protective fight" in them yet.. to talk sane and level and be text book correct and always agreeing with the rules. 
I realize as Danny stated..that sometimes you have to go by the rules.. but believe me.. I know my son.. and Danny will not just idly put Ashley on a bus to school without a pretty good fight. He writes a lot calmer than he is on this subject.  ;)

This decision was made in an error haste in my opinion. It involves too many people's precious children to have been made without input and an advertised meeting to discuss the agenda. It will take everyone to stand together and fight for what they want if they want it to change. Sometimes you just can't 'go with the flo" because you think you need to always have "faith in change and others decisions."  Sometimes..these kinds of decesions ISN'T the best thing for the ones who matter.. and I'm not talking about the dollar $ bill..
What matters  is the "children".
Just my  worth.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk