School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lookatmeknow!!

I know of a family that do a great job of homeschooling.  But it is not for everyone.  You are so right about the ecomony factoring in on things.  I don't understand why they send the food home to those kids.  Most of them don't like it, and many of those families get more money a month in food stamps, then I can afford to spend on groceries.

I really think that people need to have a open mind about the possiblity of a new school.  We can't work things the way they are going.  And if we, the community don't do something about it then the Government WILL step in and we might not like what they tell us to do.  What if we don't, let's say for example, and the government steps in, they say we have to close WE all together and send our kids other places.  They could because the surrounding communites have everything all on one campus one location.  We don't.  That would be terrible. 

People just be patience and opened minded for change.  Change is always good.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

D Whetstone

Quote from: angtown3 on April 21, 2009, 06:51:26 AM
I don't understand why they send the food home to those kids.  Most of them don't like it, and many of those families get more money a month in food stamps, then I can afford to spend on groceries.

Food is sent home with kids so that they get to eat.  How do you know most of them don't like it?  Just because a family has food stamps doesn't mean that the food stamps purchase food that the kids eat.  There is a lot of research that shows that a program that sends food home with kids for the weekend makes a big difference in that child's life. 

The school does not purchase the food. This food is donated and obtained through grants.

DW

Diane Amberg

How about a Charter School? Does Kansas have those? All the state provides are the teachers salaries. You raise you own money for the buildings.

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, I shouldn't say that all the kids don't like it, but have had some given to me for daycare from some parents.  I put my foot in my mouth about the food stamps, didn't think about that.  You are so right about the food not going to some of the kids.  Sorry.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Maude

My children are all grown and gone but here is my thought. If I had a choice to have my children in a new school verses a school that should be torn down. I would jump at the chance for them to go to a new school, not only would that increase them being proud of their school. I think it would make it a lot more comfortable to be in.
I pay taxes in Howard with having a farm and house but I knowing about LOB's and bonds it will not raise my taxes a whole lot.
Maude and Maxine.

redcliffsw

I've never seen anyone homeschooled who was socially repressed later in life.
But, over the years, I've heard supporters of the public school system say it's so.
Of course, I never agree with them and I give them something to think about.

The homeschoolers I know are doing great and their social skills are much better
than most.  Matter of fact, I'll see several tonite that are top-notch kids.

PrehistoricRez

I have to agree with alot of the bloggers here, my taxes went up $350 last year for the school.   For what to have 5 teachers cut and others given hefty raises?   Why did we have to let go so many teachers, when we have so many more doing multiple jobs?  Principles for example, that job alone is a full time job, then hes going to be responsible for superintendant duties.  Mr Moore did a similar task the last several years, no wonder the school district is falling apart. 

Cry Cry Cry about low enrollement, Not one person says a damn thing about Howard kids going to longton because "I dont like the teachers at  west elk" or the parents saying "My kid isnt smart enough to pass west elk".  Hey i know do as obama does, raise taxes on the already cash strapped people.  Does anyone know how many kids that go to longton should go to west elk?  I would like to know.

As for lowering the tax burden on the here is a far fetched idea no one wants to talk about, i never see this brought up.

LAND, because so few people own so much of it.  Total Taxes on 160 acres is about $220. 
How many acres in elk county....... 414,000 acres (647 sq mi)
Taxes on that using the estimate $569,250
Why dont we put a $1 school tax on every acre, it would give the school district $414,000 more dollars.
What about windmill money, How much is the school district going to see for that.  It should lower the tax burden.
Another way we could lower our tax burden is get rid of the law enforcement, pay the state to have a couple troopers patrol the area.   They arent afraid to write tickets.   Whens the last time Portinier wrote a ticket for someone running a stop sign, for failure to use a child safety seat, or for my god should i say it SPEEDING.  And whats the deal with him driving around on duty with his girlfriend in the car?  Are we really paying him to be affectionate with his girlfriend?

A $90,000 camera system linked to local law enforcement, for what?  It wouldnt even deter extracurricular vandalism, because the vandals are usually on the sports teams and can do WHATEVER THEY LIKE.  The law just shrugs, oh well kids will be kids.

Lets all not forget what our King Obama says "People dont mind paying higher taxes"

Tobina+1

Unfortunately, it sounds like since the state had to cut so much of the budget, that all this discussion may be obsolete if we have to merge with 3 other schools...
Bottom line is, that if we don't move quickly to turn the money-grubbing school issues around, then we won't have a school to bitch about.  ANY schools.  Forget about griping because your kid has to ride the bus 25 minutes to get to school in Severy or Moline... it will be more like an HOUR and 25 minutes to get to a school outside the county!
My opinion is, let's start from scratch and really take a hard look at every single one of the programs, activities, bus routes, teachers, paras, electricity, etc.  Will paying someone a couple thousand bucks to replace lights in the gym save that much or more?  Are we getting enough money from the other districts in the Special Ed coop to pay for the extra teachers we have to put on our payroll?  (Hypothetical questions here... not aiming to point fingers.)  Will having a centralized bus stop save buses, drivers, tires, and money enough?  Do we really need a baseball team AND a track team?  Is there a way to meet with other schools in the district and plan sporting events on the SAME night (high school and junior high at the same school on the same night?) 
Forget "how it used to be" and let's focus on "how we can survive".  This has gone from a situation that we're trying to save money and make things better, to a situation that we may not even HAVE a school in less than 5 years!  Doesn't matter how much taxes you pay then, because it will go to an out-of-county school.

Also, why do those people who own land have to pay extra taxes?  People who work jobs in town don't have to pay taxes on their desks, chairs, and how many pens they use in a year.  And if taxes rise on land, it will get passed back to food prices, you can guarantee that.  Now, a different idea would be a land tax break for those who own land and actually LIVE in Elk County.

Diane Amberg

At least you are going to help increase the population. :-*

S-S

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk