School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lola330

Moline grade school already has an elevator. 

frawin

We had a similar set up in Midland, TX as Karen described that Edmond, OK is  doing.  The only difference was that the 2 freshman campuses were completely away from the other schools.  Our kids always said is was okay, but they didn't feel they belonged to any school.  Late in the school year, they would bus the freshmen students to the "senior campuses" which contained 10, 11th and 12th grades, so they could meet the coaches, music and speech instructors that they would be studying under the following year.  Sometimes, they also got to participate in concerts and sporting events with the "older" kids.
Myrna

pepelect

Wilma why can't there still be penthouse lofts available in the top of the gradeschool? 

I have an awesome set of tools.

Flintauqua

Kinda takes Tobina's idea about grandparents as greaters to the ultimate.  Grandparents as residents! ;)

pepelect

The Moline elevator was part of the fix up the forty year old building before it falls completely down million dollar bandaid that we did to both MEG and SGS a few years ago.   

The only bad part of construction on a remodel is the part that you don't remodel.   You still have old school building problems with new building amenities.  Uninsulated glass, no central ac, and no solar panels could all be dealth with.

Like parking, wheel chair access from the front door off the bus, of course we don't have an ADA bus in district, food service not reheat rehydrate service, and the trailerhouses north west of the front door can't all be fixed with a little grey matter. 

pepelect

The more I think about this the better is sounds.   If you send your kids to school you want them to hang out with the smartest and the ones that will stay out of trouble.  But what if there was some built in role models that  were hanging around for little johnnie to bond with?   What better group than a mildly used up mob of retiries to spice up the hallways.   Who would run in the hall if you risked knocking down someone with a walker?   I bet one of two things would happen.  The kids would shape up and fly right or the geezers would have their baggie pants at half mast and a new tat to text about to the grandkids.   I can just see back tatoos half price after coffee at parking lot beside toots for the "seniors." 

Senior trip might take on an entire new focus.   

Judy Harder

Funny Pep...........very funny,

Didn't I read somewhere in the local paper that a school (or class) was using a nursing home at Coffeyville as a classroom.

May have been a pre-school.
but, I don't see the problem as LONG as there is a "time out" place for both ages.

Then screening would need to be done to protect each age group.

keep the ideas coming..........just wonder how much 'Pipe Dreaming' this is?

Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

pam

There's a school down here that IS putting their preschoolers and k'gartners in rooms at a nursing home. They say it is good for the kids and the residents both, the old folks like havin the kids around and the kids can learn from the residents. Sounds like it might be a good idea
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

Sounds good to me.  Especially if it is the kid's own grandparents that are in the halls.  We are a tough old bunch.

PEP, I was reserving the roof for a roof garden.  Of course the elevator would have to go to the roof, too.  BUT, penthouses sound good to me.  One of my doors could open directly to the garden.  Of course, that woud mean one more employee to maintain the garden and keep the old people from going over the edge.

Diane Amberg

Pep, you are right on the money about the walkers in school. One of the older teachers at Stanton Middle here uses a rolling walker. She has been mowed down a time or two, but generally the kids are very protective of her and won't put up with any nonsense when she is out in the hall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk