School Changes

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 10, 2008, 12:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

The 6th graders are kept separate right now, to the point of almost being silly.

They don't even go into the building using the doors the junior high and high school students use. The sixth graders walk, with their teacher most of the time, around to the north door of the building and enter there. They eat breakfast after the other students are back in class.

Tobina+1

Oh, good.  I can imagine that quarter jar is getting awfully heavy for poor Emily to haul around everywhere.  PEP lives in poverty while his kids are living in the lap of luxury off of his cuss-word quarters.   ;D

jprxmkt

I think they are doing a pretty good job keeping them separated.  She hasn't asked what any new words mean yet and hasn't needed any quarters :).  They have PE everyday and have a combined 6,7,8th grade band.  Like Patrick said, she is really enjoying having more kids in her class. One year they only had 6! So far, so good.

patyrn

It sounds like the 6th grade scheduling at WE is working out well.  I'll bet the kids really aren't concerned whether they live in Moline or Severy or Grenola or Howard either.  This may be a very positive step toward educating their parents and the communities about cooperation and compassion throughout the district.

They are using that same type of concept here in Edmond at the high schools this year with all the 9th graders being directed into separate facilities called Freshman Centers.  We have a middle school concept (6th, 7th, and 8th), so the 9th graders are "thrown to the wolves" in these big high schools.  They are on the same campus but with their own facilities and separate lunch schedules. The concept sounds great--hope it eliminates some of the problems the younger students usually have to deal with.   

lola330

It sounds like the kids are enjoying it.  I overheard one mom say that her 6th grades son's only comment after the first day of school was that the girls in his class were "hot"!  (sorry pepelect, that might be scary to you)  I'm glad that the kids are together in a bigger class, and that they get to have band together.  Can 6th graders play in the pep band at football games?  It would be fantastic to see a marching band, especially at a football game.  Of course, they would probably have to get in line behind the dance team.

I do think that walking around to the north door is ridiculous.  Wait until it rains or snows.  Maybe they'll change their minds about that.

pepelect

Let's change gears for a second.    What if we don't build an assisted living in the old Howard grade school building after all. 

What if we turn it back into a grade school? 

Then create two assisted living campus in both Severy and Moline.  They would need minimal work and there would be lots more money for both communities.  There are more elderly than elementary age patrons in all three communities.  It could go on the tax rolls instead of being part of the debit side of the ledger.  Both populations have elderly living at home that should not be by themselves but do not need  skilled nursing home care yet.  The buildings already have communications, internet, tv, gym facility, lunchrooms, library and are both ada accessible. 

That leaves the remodel of the grade school back into a grade school.   You wouldn't have to build a new building. You could spend the money normally spent on steel and concrete on interior finishes.  You would not have to give up a practice field.  You would gain a gym, practice gym or both.   It is in a quiet neighborhood. 

You have good water, power, sewer, and highest priced gas in the area all available. 

The is plenty of green space.  It would take the same amount of work as an assisted living as far as the remodeling but you have a smaller need list.  It is easiler to recreate 9 classrooms from 9 classrooms than to create 27 homes from 9 classrooms. 

Judy Harder

Not a bad idea Pep...........now lets see the masses run!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Rudy Taylor

You'd never make it in government, PEP.

Only one new idea is allowed per year

:-)
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Joanna

I do like that idea, makes more sense to me than the reverse... Moline would still need an elevator if it were Assisted Living, but maybe everyone could work together and get a "deal" getting them for Moline, the old/new grade school building and the old bank building.

Wilma

There goes my top floor, northwest corner apartment.  Wah....................................... or as Teresa would put it,  W-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-h. :'( :'( :'( :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk