Weather

Started by W. Gray, June 05, 2008, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

Judy, we will see you at the Cafe about noon today.   

Mom70x7

Going back to the weather -

My brother lives in Cedar Rapids and my dad lives in a suburb.
Both their families are completely out of danger, except . . .

It's the downtown area of Cedar Rapids that is flooded. That means the businesses, etc. are out of commission. That will hurt the town more than anything else.

As we know, after a major flood it's a mess. But people will donate to families and give them clothes and food and shelter.
How do you donate to a business? Buy them equipment and inventory? What will they do.

One church, Presbyterian I think, thought it was safe, but then the sewer system was overloaded and their basement flooded with water coming up the drains, toilets, sinks, etc. They apparently had a couple of feet of water before church people thought to check.

Many city offices are also underwater.
I think I read 3 of the 4 water filtering plants are not working.
It is indeed a big mess.

flo

we complain about 5 or 6 inches of rain.  Don't know when we're well off, do we. :-\  I would imagine businesses have to rely solely on insurance coverage, but doubt it will cover even a minute of their losses, if any.  We've checked on Laurie (Wilnerd), or my daughter has.  She and her family are fine.  Lynn couldn't get ahold of her and was concerned, but Carolyn finally did and reported back to me so I relayed on to Lynn.  I've dumped 7 3/4" out of my rain gauge this week.  Enough already ! ! ! ! !
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Tobina+1

Haven't made it through all the new threads yet, but hope this still is the place where I can post this.  Video from Topeka station on the tornado in Manhattan.  Interesting (and scary) footage, but nice to see since the Wichita stations just stopped covering it!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sVtsI60ZqJE

Tobina+1

Here's a link to a map of the damage in Manhattan:
http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/DocumentView.asp?DID=4547

My sister was 1-1/2 blocks South of the damage along Anderson.  She still had pieces of insulation on her car this weekend when we met in Topeka for a family reunion!  It looked like someone had TP'd her car with yellow TP!

LOTS of rain here today.  Almost feels like it did last June when we got all the rain... like it could set in and rain for DAYS.  But according to the radar, maybe just an hour more of rain and it might be done for a while.

frawin

Tobina, hope your sister was alright and had no injuries from the storm Thanks for posting the weather, I need to get off of politics and talk the weather, that is only between me, the weatherman and the Lord. Nothing to argue or get in trouble about. I keep saying I am going to get off of the forum for good but still like some of the discussions.
Frank

Lookatmeknow!!

Quote from: frawin on June 16, 2008, 01:35:43 PM
Tobina, hope your sister was alright and had no injuries from the storm Thanks for posting the weather, I need to get off of politics and talk the weather, that is only between me, the weatherman and the Lord. Nothing to argue or get in trouble about. I keep saying I am going to get off of the forum for good but still like some of the discussions.
Frank

Please don't leave us!!  There is some much other than politics that make the world go around and also to discuss!!!! :D
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Teresa

Hang in there Frank!   :)
Just breathe......................................................nice and deep .....................................

I do a whole lot of that.. LOL   ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Tobina+1

Frank, yes, don't leave us.  I had to quit Politics, too.  I thought I should expand myself beyond the Coffee Shop and weather, but found that I enjoyed the forum much more when I kept out of Politics.  You can expect to never find me running for an office, that's for sure!  Plus, stirring it up on the school thread and trying to keep up with the gasoline thread is enough politikin' for me.  Like I said in another thread... I'm a simple, linear thinker.  At least on this forum.  I have enough other stress to deal with at my real job, so I come here for enjoyment!

frawin

Thanks Tobina, I find I am hooked on the Forum as is my wife so I think we will be staying on it. There are so many good people on it and so much good information that I would miss. I need to avoid the politics and the radicals and enjoy the rest.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk