KIND OF NEAT

Started by flo, June 04, 2008, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

When I went to Eureka to pick up flowers from the cemetary, on one grave in the "Smith" plot was a note sealed in a ziplock baggie, that said "If you are the person that decorates this grave, please contact me" and it gave a name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.  I called this gentleman when I got home and seems that the "David B. Smith" buried in that grave was his great-grandfather.  He was also my late husband's great-grandfather.  Seems this gentleman and his sister are working on their family genealogy and came to Eureka to look up this grave.  I am the only one that puts flowers on the graves of 5 adults and 3 babies that are buried there.  Anyhow, we had a very nice visit, he recognized several of the names I mentioned in Lewis' family tree and I put him in touch with Pam, who is working on the genealogy of Lewis' family.  This all brought up something else, tho.  Where are David's three wives buried?  Betcha Pam will find out.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

patyrn

I think that is neat, Flo.  We also decorate extended family graves to which no one else pays attention, so it is great that these relatives were searching and will be able to extend your children's family tree.  How ironic that your paths crossed!

Catwoman

I also travel across KS decorating otherwise forgotten family graves...I think I'm the only one, besides my parents, who knows where all of these people are buried.  I have started taking pictures of the grave markers so that I can make a book for my children and extended relatives of all of these ancestors.  I don't want this knowledge to die with me.

Wilma

Great minds do work in the same way.  I have been doing this for my children, but recently the price of gas is keeping me close to home.

flo

my daughters know where the graves are that I decorate and hopefully their children will carry on after they are gone.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Catwoman

I would love to think that someone other than me will be willing to do the decorating of the graves but it appears that, out of four different family lines, I'm the only one that inherited the 'sentimental gene'.  Or should I call it the 'sucker gene'?  Oh well...it doesn't much matter...the gas expense is all the same....WAY TOO MUCH!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk