Upholstery supplies? anyone?

Started by Joanna, May 29, 2008, 06:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

I need to redo some dining room chairs.  I found my fabric, but need a few other things;
24 covered button forms (the snap together kind so I don't have to buy a $200 machine!)
button tufting string/twine/cord (whatever it's called)
burlap looking backing cloth

Does anyone know where I might find these things? I found a place I can order online, but would rather get something I can see in person first, or at least talk to a human about it.  If you have anyideas, please let me know!  Thanks.

Wilma

Have you tried Hobby Lobby?  I know they have upholstery fabric, but wasn't interested enough to check other items.

Joanna

Thanks Wilma.  That's where we got the fabric and the foam, but the only seem to carry 2 or 4 of any same button, and I definately need them to match  ;D  They didn't have twine either, and we forgot to look for the backing stuff. 

It was a fun shopping trip with my daughter-in-law that day!  She has great decorating ideas and you would not believe how much more fun it is to go shopping with her than it is with the 3 guys I used to have to drag along! ;)

flo

Joanna, during my "antique refinishing" days, when I had something that needed reupholestered I found Melba Fechter in Hamilton a lot of help.  I was able to buy some things directly from her.  I don't know if she still does upholestery, but she may still have supplies or could tell you where to get yours.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

Joanna, if it is something we can pick up at Holly Hobby here in Bartlesville, let me know. We will be coming to Howard on Saturday A.M.
Frank

sixdogsmom

If you are familiar with the shortcut road to Dexter between 160 higway and K15, there is a place there called The Backdoor Upholstery Shop. She may be able to help you. Sorry, I don't know the number or her name, just remember seeing her sign.
Edie

Devyn-Leann

I know the place Flo is speaking of. When Billy still worked on the ranch and lived between Hamilton and Madison, we had Melba do a chair for us. That was in the summer of 2004. Not sure if she's still open or not either. But it's right on the highway south of Hamilton.

Tobina+1

Joanne; try Jo-Ann's!  They usually have some of that stuff, too.  Sometimes you can find a knowledgable person to help you.  Or Hancock Fabric.  They would more likely have more knowledgable people working there.  Hancock's is located in Wichita on the SE corner of Rock and Kellogg.  A little difficult to get in, though... I usually go South at Walmart and take Harry West to Rock, and then go back North; that allows for an easy right-turn into the parking lot where that shopping center is.  Don't forget to get online and print off 40% off coupons for both places!

My normal trek to all the fabric stores includes going up to 21st to the HL there, driving down Oliver to hit JoAnn's South of Kellogg, and then heading back East to Hancock's.  Or vice versa the opposite way.

frawin

Joanna, I meant Hobby Lobby, I used to call it Holly Hobby because we decorated my daughters room in Holly Hobby.
Frank

Joanna

Frank, thanks for the offer :) but it's probably one of those things that I'd have to see myself to pick out.  We checked the one in Wichita, and my daughter in law Dana checked the one in Manhattan for me.
That's cute about Holly Hobby.  I didn't even notice it when I read your first post, just read it like "Hobby Lobby"; one of those times when you see what you expect to see, not what may actually be there! 8)  I remember Holly Hobby too, but you are right, they aren't nearly the same thing ;D

Flo & Devin-Leann, thanks too for the directions.  I don't know which direction I will be driving next, but if it's North I'll go by & see what I can find about Melba Fechter.  It'd be close and I can swing by Eureka to visit the folks too.

Tobina, thanks for the great directions in Wichita.  I don't shop for fabric very often, and when I lived closer I went to Jo-Ann's in Joplin, but didn't think to check if there is one in Wichita.  I've never been in a Handcock Fabrics store, but I know exactly what you mean about going around the back way, we've had to do that the last two times we headed up there to a bicycle shop north on Rock and then to shop for maternity clothes with my dear Dana.  I swear there's been constant construction there ever since I started driving in the 70's.  I'm so glad I only visit there occasionally and live my real life here in Elk County!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk