Who is this Man?

Started by W. Gray, May 20, 2008, 08:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I searched the forum and I do not see where I have brought this up before.
Who is this guy?
Born in Kansas Territory.
Died of a heart attack in 1936 and is buried in Topeka.
He was the first Kansan to serve as U.S. republican Senate Majority Leader (Bob Dole was second)

He was instrumental in getting a law passed which for the first time gave all American Indians U.S. citizenship in 1924.

He was the first Kansan to be Vice President of the U.S. and first Vice President from west of the Mississippi River.

He was the last Vice President to sport facial hair (a mustache).

He was the first Vice President to take the vice presidential oath with a Bible.

He was the first Vice President to light the Whitehouse Christmas tree.

He was the first and only American Indian to become Vice President.

Charles Curtis, Kaw Nation, Vice President from 1929-1933.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

twirldoggy

Diane Amberg

That, I did not know. Thanks!

W. Gray

Just as an aside:

Donehogawa, an Iroquois Nation Seneca Tribe member also known as Colonel Ely Samuel Parker, was present at the surrender and wrote the formal surrender document for General Lee to sign at Appomattox. Parker later became a General.

Another Union officer in the room was General George Armstrong Custer. No word on how they might have gotten along.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk