Kafir Korn Karnival pictures enjoy!!

Started by LisaT, May 19, 2008, 10:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisaT

These are photos I have of Lee Bailey's. I would really like to know what G.A.R. stood for.
The first one is of the Star School house students and their first prize float.
Dana Denton is pretty sure that her Mom is in the picture. Photo was in Sept 1926.

I don't know anything about this picture aside from its in the parade

The Ford info at the bottom of the picture is all done out of seeds. Sept 1926

This one is the Baptist Church's Stand where cold drinks and lunches were furnished according to
the back of the photograph. Those are members and one of those standing
in front is Rev. Hiner(I think that's what it says anyway)

A booth at the festival also done with seeds

The G.A.R. float whatever that stood for.
Hopefully somebody out there can help me out with that.

patyrn

The G.A.R. stood for the Grand Army of the Republic.  It was a fraternal organization composed of Union Army soldiers from the Civil War era.  I've noticed the G.A.R. emblem engraved into several of the old tombstones in Grace Lawn Cemetery.  You can probably find the same type of thing in the other cemeteries of the county, too.

W. Gray

One meaning of GAR was Grand Army of the Republic--veterans of the Civil War.

There was a department of Kansas with 498 posts.

According to the Kansas State Historical Society there was a post number 110 in Moline.

But there is no information on when that post went out of business.

There were 498 GAR posts in Kansas.

The last GAR post in the nation appears to have disappeared around 1949.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

Thanks to you both. I knew what G.A.R. meant. My great grand father was a member. He was an interesting character.

Ole Granny

Lisa, Thank you for the photos.  What fun!
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Ole, Old Granny, were you in those parades.
Frank

patyrn

We lived in South Dakota for a few years, and these Kafir Korn Festival photos remind me of Mitchell, South Dakota, the home of the Corn Palace.  It is really very interesting and was developed to commemorate the importance of corn to that part of the country.  Obviously Elk County had a lot of Kafir Corn to build a celebration around.  I wonder when Moline quit having the festival. 

Marcia Moore

Thanks, Lisa, for posting the pictures. 

W. Gray

Moline may have been ahead of its time.

That picture of the G.A.R. float if taken in 1926:

The property along the street shows concrete curbs and  concrete gutters to take the rain away.

The street seems to be paved?

If that was in 1926 that was well before the NRA, WPA, etc., when I thought a good many small town benefited from Roosevelt's public works projects and it was then that all of the street work improvements were done in many towns.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

I love these old photos. As you say, the backgrounds are as interesting as the main subject.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk