BIG Blooper in Eureka Herald

Started by Marcia Moore, May 15, 2008, 09:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

You girls are right on the money.  Having your name in the paper was always a big incentive and I have wondered why we don't have more of it from the schools.  I am SURE  that if the children thought their name would be in the news, they would try harder.

And, Rudy, thank you so much for your comment about Janet.  Have I ever commented on her perfect spelling when she was in the second grade.  Now this wasn't just the Friday spelling test.  This was on everything from any subject that was turned in.  Including the headings, dates, etc.  Anyone that had Alberta Young for a second grade teacher at Severy knows what I am talking about.  Oh, and Janet takes after me.

W. Gray

I have a huge problem with the word ratios.

I always write it as rations. Even did it above before I corrected it.

A spell checker will not catch rations as a misspelling.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Joanna

Well, my spelling is atrocious and always was.  I don't even try much anymore, just rely on spell-checker a lot, and I try to re-read everything to check for correctly-spelled "wrong" words.  Alas, they still sneak through.  (I wrote 'Fling Hills' just now and it went through just fine :-\)  I am always quick to notice misspellings, poor grammar and inappropriate words, especially when others have written them ;D; though I try not to comment (some days I try harder than others!  ::) :P :angel:)

I love to read about the kids and what they accomplish.  I try to mention that I saw them in the paper when I see the kids too, and I know they enjoy that.  Moline Elementary seems to have pretty good system for getting the kids in there, so 'kudos' to whoever does that.  Most of the clubs in High School have "recorders" or "secretaries" and maybe they just need reminded to get things submitted.  The sports teams would probably need to depend on the coaches or maybe someone the coaches designate to send in stories.

I know that anything I've sent in to the paper has been included; and being able to submit it through email is fantastic!  We are truly blessed to have a newspaper that will work with the communities the way the Flint Hills Express does.  Thanks Rudy and thanks to your staff too.  Now go get an ice-pack before your head starts swelling again.

Rudy Taylor

Tobina, I could write a book about how we gather news from local schools.  It ranges from Andy Taylor driving to Longton or Howard and taking pictures and writing the stories himself, to working with school personnel who provide us with stories and/or statistics along with digital photos which they take themselves.

In some cases, schools send almost more than we can print.  But in most cases, it's a more complicated process and often involves lots of emailing and phone calling by Jenny Diveley, the manager of the Flint Hills Express. Teachers, coaches and other school staff members don't have news writing as a top priority, so we often have to prod them along. And that's OK, because we want them to keep the kids as their top priority.

But to answer your question, yes, there will always be an imbalance between various sports teams simply because some coaches are super promoters of their teams and others wouldn't sent an article if we paid them to do it.

We will offer our services again this year to attend in-service meetings to provide insight into how best to get articles in the newspaper.

Rudy
It truly is "a wonderful life."

flo

all this brought something to mind when I first went to work for an attorney.  Correct spelling is very very important in legal documents and during my orintation I remember one example he gave me that could be disasterous.  "My client is NOT ready to accept this settlement" and typed in the letter is "My client is NOW ready to accept this settlement".  Big difference and spell checker would not catch this mistake -  Correct spelling of names, etc.  Think that's why I get upset when important papers, including printed checks, have a "c" in my first name.  My notary seal even had a "c" in the name (sent it back with a very specific letter  >:() - anyhow, that's bout all I got to say about that -  ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Rudy Taylor

Flo, I'd say the most common error I make is the "not" and "now" switch.

Also, I tend to type really fast and I leave out words.  If you leave out the word "not" it changes the meaning of a story one hundred percent.

I.e. "The mayor said he would not resign as the result of his personal business failure."

Take out the "not" and you've got a dandy story, but totally wrong.

Sometimes I wish I had been a Wal-Mart greeter. :-)

(Hey, God loves Wal-Mart greeters, too!)

Rudy
It truly is "a wonderful life."

flo

:laugh: :laugh: but think of the excitement you could stir up around the town by leaving the "not" out.  ::) . . . but then again, the mayor may not be too happy with you.  Hey, you could be a Wal-Mart greeter in your spare time !
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

sixdogsmom

Too many of those bloopers and Walmart is not far off!  :D :D
Edie

Jo McDonald

NO NO Rudy ~~~ Forget WaMart-- we like you and need you right where you are!!!
l
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

sixdogsmom

You're right Jo, we couldn't do without him! Forget Walmart!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk