BIG Blooper in Eureka Herald

Started by Marcia Moore, May 15, 2008, 09:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Don't get me wrong.  Dick Clasen's daughter is doing a wonderful job with the Eureka Herald -- and we all know everyone makes mistakes.  The one in this week's paper, though, should win the Eureka Herald the Kansas Press Association's Blooper of the Year Award.  The mistake is under the headline, "Accept Two More Resignations."  Faith Rucker's last name was mispelled in the worst possible way.  The article is right smack in the middle of the front page.

flo

won't get my paper till today or tomorrow, but bet my granddaughter is glad she's no longer associated with the Herald.  ;D  I ask her why she quit and she said it was because the paper was going under.  Hope that don't happen.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Rudy Taylor

Oh, my.

I feel sorry for that poor girl. I've been there many times.  But thankfully, we don't have any Ruckers in our hometown.  We do, however, have plenty of the other variety.

Poor girl.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Bonnie M.

I, also, feel really sorry for the person who made the mistake, and the person who didn't catch it, before it went to print.
Bonnie

greatguns

Itto feel bad for the person or the machine that made a mistake.  What a shame that it must be brought to everyones attention.  Cast the first stone by all means.

greatguns

OH MY GOD I MADE A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Hope you are smart enough to figure out what I meant.

pam

Sorry guys I think it's funny! Wouldn't ya like to see all the coffee that went shootin out of peoples noses when they saw it?! LMAO
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Marcia Moore

Yes, one needs a sense of humor. 

flo

Remember the Sears & Roebuck catalog back in the 60's, I think it was.  Who knows, maybe this will help the circulation.  Strangers things have happened.  And I can tell you who's fault it was.  BLAME IT ON THE COMPUTER  ::) ::) ::)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Rudy Taylor

Flo, I can't believe you stole my line.

Even though newspaper offices no longer employ typesetters and proofreaders, there still must be no excuses made for errors. And certainly we shouldn't blame them on the stupid computer!  I hear that line so often.

Errors, in almost every case, are made by human beings.

Having said that, today's digital imaging world does create some interesting mistakes when we editors finally get to see our printed product. I recently ran several legal publications in our Labette County newspaper that turned to gibberish in the final image-setting process. Needless to say, we got the opportunity to run them again and, yes, I blamed the stupid computer.

Most bloopers are funny.  Like several years ago when I ran a story about a local cowboy who won a calf-raping event.

But the one in Eureka is just sad. I feel sorry for the folks who publish that little paper.  And, of course, I also feel for the person whose name was abused so terribly. Nothing is more precious than one's name.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk