Wabash Street Light Poles

Started by W. Gray, May 13, 2008, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I always thought Howard had some pretty nice street light poles on the main street.

I can recall watching from the apartment above the dime store when those went in.

They still seem in pretty good shape to me.

Does anyone know why all 24 of them have to be replaced?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Joanna

The poles really look great from a short distance, but when you get close you can see that most, if not all, are severely cracked especially up near the top where everything is attached.  You can see where they've been patched before, but I'm sure they are just coming to the end of their useful life.  I think it is a liability issue for the electric company and I heard that at least one person had threatened to hold them liable if a pole came down on private property (like a car or a building).  We could only hope it would never fall & injure a person! 

They don't make the cement ones any longer and it is a shame that we are losing them.   I hope our city budget can afford the metal replacements instead of the wood ones, but they are really quite expensive.

W. Gray

I never thought about looking up.

I am with you--wood poles would probably be creosoted and be really bad.

Sounds like it could be time for another fund drive ala courthouse clock.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

twirldoggy

Many people are slipping and falling on the uneven and broken sidewalks downtown.   So why not fix those too ?

Diane Amberg

I'll just have to come check them out for myself! How about the afternoon of June 10th?

Rudy Taylor

So, is that a date?  You comin' to Kansas, Diane?

Yippee!
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Diane Amberg

We're a workin' on it. Not final yet, but almost! More to follow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk