Tankless Water Heater

Started by Wilma, April 28, 2008, 09:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jensarlou

Diane,
My house was a two story and had three full baths and clothes and dish washers.  It worked wonderful.  It ran on gas and really wasn't a very large unit.  Like I told Wilma I loved it and wish I had a gas in my house so I could have a Ranai.

sixdogsmom

What was the initial expense please?
Edie

Diane Amberg

WOW...Where was I when J's was installed?  And just one? Now I'm impressed! That's exactly what we would have liked.  Ranai is the name?   Cost please?   

jensarlou

Gee I can't really remember exactly how much it was.  We had a bunch of stuff done at one time.  New ac and heater, new ducting, ranai, gas lines run for both, and a new 1000 gal. propane tank.  But for some reason 600 to 800 sticks out in my mind for the cost of the ranai.  We also had 2 controllers and the second one was either $80 or $120 extra.  When you buy the unit it comes with one controller.  We paid cost for it because the work was done by family.

sixdogsmom

Thanks! We want to get the water heater out of the cellar as it sometimes floods. At our age, we want to simplify things as much as possible!
Edie

mthomas

I have gas fired Takagi tankless units installed at my home and rental properties. They can work well, but must be correctly sized and installed. I put up a web page about what we have learned at:

http://paragoninspects.com/tankless-heater-home-inspection-evanston-chicago-il-faq.html

Diane Amberg

Thanks! That is a very good article. I never did get a straight answer on the life expectancy of the units and components for our water quality and average temperature. We finally gave up and put in a good quality regular tank, but I have a friend who is researching for one and I'll be sure she sees this.

W. Gray

For those who might still have an interest in tankless water heaters, Consumer Reports for October 2008 is running a two page comparison of tankless to tank.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Roma Jean Turner

A salesman at Sears told me that if you have hard water theywill calcify more quickly than a regular one.  He suggested considering a water softening unit.  I decided to just go with a regular one.

W. Gray

Ditto from Consumer Reports in reference to calcification and on recommending a water softener.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk