Are You Left Handed?

Started by Wilma, April 19, 2008, 09:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

LOL, spawn of the devil:P Only trouble I had being left-handed was in second grade when the teacher insisted I turn my paper the same direction as the other kids who were right-handed, dang near had me bein one of those lefties that's writes upside down. Left-handed people think with the right side of the brain which is the creative, abstract thinking side which is why we are so cool! And so adaptable, which is why I've never used left-handed tools etc, just turn em around:P
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

My grandpa always used to say that people use the opposite side of the brain than which hand they are... so lefties are always in their RIGHT MINDS!  My mom's dad was a leftie, and none of his 7 children were, but about 1/4 of his grandchildren are!  Out of 4 kids, 2 of us are lefties.  Hubby is also a leftie.  We thought we remembered from genetics class that being left-handed was a simple recessive gene, so that our kids would be guaranteed to be lefties.  But I had a left-handed daily calendar that said it's only a 40% chance for 2 lefties to produce lefty kids.  Now hubby can't harrass me about if the kids aren't lefties, they're not his!  Ha!
Writing cursive was always hard for me.  Also using the sewing machine.  I think I learned everything else easily, though.  Now ask my righty parents who had to teach me!

MarineMom

THERE ARE ONLY A FEW PERFECT PEOPLE...THE REST ARE RIGHT HANDED! ;D

Tobina+1

I hate to re-open this thread since MarineMom closed it so eloquently last time!  But I have a few left-handed facts to share from my lefties calendar...

If you share a computer (and a mouse) with a right-hander, you might like to try a simple shareware utility called SwapMouseButtons.  This allows you to set the F12 key as a hotkey to change from right to left and back with a single keystroke.  It also automatically changes the mouse pointer and hand curser to left-handed versions when you swap buttons.  (I've learned to adapt, so it would be more of a pain to relearn!)

Researchers have discovered that you can tell if someone is right or left-handed literally off the top of his head - by checking which way the hair grows out of his scalp.  Right handed people tend to have hair that swirls clockwise.  People who are left handed or ambidextrous, however have no such pattern - the hair can coil in either direction.

Are you really left handed?  Fold your hands together.  Which thumb is on top?  If yo're a lefty, it's probably the right one.  For a person who is right-handed, the left thumb will most likely be on top.

Joanna

Quote from: Tobina on May 12, 2008, 11:26:27 AMAre you really left handed?  Fold your hands together.  Which thumb is on top?  If yo're a lefty, it's probably the right one.  For a person who is right-handed, the left thumb will most likely be on top.

Wow!  I thought I'd heard all the "left handed" trivia before, but not this one!  And it works!  I even folded them the 'wrong' way to check and it is off-center and akward feeling.

I'm with you on the mouse Tobina, and the same with using a calculator.

patyrn

Well.........I've lived almost 59 years as a right-handed person, but the experiement with folding the hands and checking which thumb is on top tells me I should be left-handed.  Who knows?  No wonder my mind does funny things sometimes!!!!!!!  I do tie my shoes backwards  because my left-handed dad taught me.  I didn't even know my way was "wrong" until I had kids and tried to teach them. 

indygal

I tried the folded hands test and my left thumb goes on top every time.

I do recall my dad having issues with how I rolled a bowling ball. He kept trying to make me scoot toward the center when I wanted to aim from the right side.

Not sure if it has anything to do with dominant handedness, but I know I get addle-brained when it comes to things like buffet lines, airports, and shopping mall parking lots. Are these designed with "rights" in mind, or am I just a doof?

Tobina+1

Quote from: indygal on May 12, 2008, 08:32:35 PM
I tried the folded hands test and my left thumb goes on top every time.

Yeah, mine, too.  But the other way doesn't feel unnatural, though.  I haven't tried it on Chuck yet.  He says that he can do fine workmanship better with his right hand... like threading a needle (for his leather sewing).  I think I'm very lefty, but have learned to adapt to the righty world.

OK, here's an odd one... "According to one US study, blondes are twice as likely to be left-handed as brunettes and redheads."
Hmm.  I'm brunette, as is Chuck. 

pam

This is kinda off the present subject but.....lol...I have just been noticin down here in my part of Missouri there are a LOT of left-handed people! Me and Dad are the only two I remember for the most part other than one here and there but it's really common down here. Wonder why?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

sixdogsmom

There was a lot of inter-marriage in the hills. That could explain lots of things!  ;) ;)
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk