Are You Left Handed?

Started by Wilma, April 19, 2008, 09:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I am not lefthanded but first daughter is.  Teaching her how to do things has been a real challenge at times.  But my question is:  As a left handed person, what problems have you had that is unique to a lefty? 

sixdogsmom

As an aside--- did you know that the word sinister means left handed?  ;)
Edie

flo

left handed in my immediate family - my late husband, oldest daughter, two grandchildren - AND there is nothing they cannot do and have never had a problem doing it - all handwriting is beautiful also.  I never had to "teach" Pam to do anything.  I also believe a couple great grandchildren are going to be left handed.  Not a problem  ;) - the only problem Lewis would say he had was convincing other people that being left handed is NOT a handicap.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

indygal

Both of my parents and my sister are right-handed, and only one cousin and I are lefties on both sides of the family. I married a rightie, and when our son favored his left hand, his dad was flustered. He worried about teaching him to use power tools, throw or hit a ball, that sort of thing. When our daughter was born, he said he hoped she would be right-handed so I'd have problems teaching her to do things. Well, it turned out our daughter was a leftie too -- so it was three against one!

When I was still in a high chair and began eating with my left hand, my grandfather told my mom that left-handed people were "the spawn of the devil," and that she should tie my left arm down to the chair so I couldn't use it. He said it would save me a lot of misery growing up in a right-handed world. Well, thankfully, she didn't do it! I think the only problems I've encountered are using tools such as circular saws, jigsaws, etc., and those blasted poor excuses they call left-handed scissors (obviously invented by a rightie! EEKS!) Oh, I do twist the bread bag ties the opposite direction, and I've never learned to play guitar or do calligraphy. Other than that, I can't think of any other things I do vastly different.

My handwriting is neat and attractive, and doesn't have that telltale back-slant to the left (it's all in how the pen/pencil is held and how the paper is turned; by moving the paper so it's nearly sideways, you don't have to look under your hand to see what you're writing). Oh, and yes, there's the minor issue of being seated at the end of the table so you don't whack your dinner companion's arm with your elbow all the time! LOL

I do believe lefties have a slightly different viewpoint about things. I've never considered it to be a handicap; in fact, I've always liked being a bit of an oddball. And while I do have an ornery streak at times, I don't think anyone would describe me as being sinister.

Joanna

I'm left handed and so is my Dad, I think we are the only ones in my family though.  I don't think I had more trouble learning than right-handed folks, though I have always used right handed scissors and of course the mouse is always on the right ~ even if you move it you've got to deal with that left/right click issue. Also, I don't know if it has any bearing, but I'm much more comfortable with North, South, East and West for directions instead of Left or Right.  I think one of Marty's most frequent comments is "I mean your other right..."

I had trouble learning to bat, but I think that's partly because it's hard to get a pitcher that can deal with the change-up, especially as kids.  Also had trouble learning to shoot a gun, but it took me a while to decide if I wanted to shoot right or left-handed there and I still trade off once in a while.  Bowling was a little off for me too, but just because there wasn't anyone left-handed to get me started correctly.  I learned 10 key with my right hand because there wasn't any other option, and I think it gave me an advantage because I could write and calculate at the same time.

My dad taught me to crochet, but I never could learn to knit because he didn't know how.  I had a little trouble teaching my kids to tie their shoes; eventually Marty taught them because we were all getting frustrated.  Some things still bug me, like the sewing machine being set up for right-handed people, and doors open on the wrong side for me sometimes.  I wouldn't want to be right-handed though.  I think being left-handed has made me be more flexible in learning and more creative.

lsmith

Yes I'm one of the special people also. I eat, write, shoot pool and guns with my left hand. Bat, throw a ball right handed and can hit my thumb with a hammer with either hand.

indygal

Oh! I forgot about ice cream scoops that have the little lever thingy you push to make the ice cream come out. And lawn mower pull starters being on the right...my weaker side. You're right about the computer mouse, Joanna. I'm also directionally challenged, but have improved through the years.

Joanna

and one-sided gravy ladles ~ amost impossible for me to use!

Jody

You can be left eyed or right eyed.  There is a test put a hole (pin) in a paper.  You make a dot on another  paper. Ihave forgotten the details.   CAN SOME ONE HELPME OUT?

Diane Amberg

Yes, hold the paper with the dot about a foot or so in front of your face. Hold up the paper with the hole and look through the hole with both eyes open. Then close one eye. If you can still see the dot, that's the dominate eye. If it disappears, your other eye is the dominate one. I think it's easier to roll up a tube of paper and look through it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk