Movie Theater, Moline

Started by W. Gray, April 19, 2008, 09:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Can anyone remember the name of the movie theater in Moline?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

Believe it went by Morris and/or Moline.  Could be wrong! :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :laugh: :laugh:
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

W. Gray

Thanks,

Teresa posted a photo sometime ago showing it in 1937 with a name on the marquee of Deluxe Theater.

The Elk County History book calls it the Cozy Theater.

I was thinking I could remember the name if someone came up with it but I drew a blank on Morris.

Course, we always called it the Moline theater. I never saw a movie there, though.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ole Granny

Could be all of the names over the years. 
Eskimo Legend

LisaT

Hopefully you can see it in this picture. It was called the Deluxe Theater at one point. It was there in 1915 according to my map. Right next to a cafe that I'm not sure of the name of. On closer inspection it was in between cafe's. My Mom owns the building now. At one point it had a bowling alley in it according to Cleo Beu.

Found another picture I think this one came from the forum. If anyone recognizes it or knows where the original is I'd really like a better copy.

W. Gray

Both the Howard and Moline Theater advertised in their respective newspapers.

Both also had flyers printed on thin paper advertising all the shows for the week or two weeks.

You could pick up these flyers in some of the stores.

Howard Theater had a balcony. I dont know about Moline.

Diane Amberg

That's an interesting wagon. Is that corn and sorghum on it or what am I looking at?

sixdogsmom

They used to have a town celebration called the Kaffir Korn Karnival. That is probably Kaffir Corn. Now our celebration is called Crazy Days and is held toward the end of June. It is a weekend party starting with a free bean feed in the park that is followed by a baked goods auction. If you want to see what a $100.00 pie looks like stay for the fun. The moneys raised are used for town improvements such as park facilities. Hope this is right, if incorrect jump right in there and let us know.
Edie

flo

:o :angel: I remember the balcony in the Plaza at Howard  ;)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Ole Granny

Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk