Kansas Mountain Lion

Started by W. Gray, March 29, 2008, 08:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Does not appear to be any recent posts about the mountain lion that was shot and killed recently in Kansas near Medicine Lodge.

It is the first mountain lion killed in the state since 1904. It was shot by a farmer at the end of last year.

The wildlife people tracked the farmer down after hearing persistent rumors of a kill.

There may or may not be something strange about this deed. The farmer sent the hide to a Texas taxidermist. At last word, the wildlife people were retrieving the pelt to determine if was of wild or tame stock.

The Barber County farmer was chopping wood when he saw the lion. After running to his pickup to retrieve a rifle, he made the kill.

The farmer reported he has, from time to time, seen other lions on his property.

Killing mountain lions in Kansas is against the law, however, the wildlife people have said they will not press charges due to the farmer's super cooperation.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

That is good news.  I am of the opinion that the farmer did not know that it is illegal to kill a mountain lion in Kansas.  I also heard several times that this is the first mountain lion to be seen in Kansas in a hundred years.  I have been told by people whose word can be taken for fact that mountain lions have been seen in Elk County in the past 20 years.  One of the persons is dead now but the other two are very much alive and will swear to the fact.

sixdogsmom

Many years ago I saw a mountain lion along the Walnut river just west of Winfield Kansas. We were fishing there at the millrace, hubby had gone back to the camper for a lantern as it was nearly dark. This animal came out of the woods across the river to a small gravel bar  and drank. I thought at first it was a large dog, but realized that no dog I had ever seen had such a long tail. Or carry it's tail the way this critter did. The animal didn't behave like a dog either; it just got the drink from the river and pretty much vanished into the undergrowth. My hackles raised and I was certainly happy to see that lantern!
Edie

Lookatmeknow!!

My husband has seen big cats out by our old place.  It was seen out on Killdeer road.  I never saw it but believe that he did.  When I was younger, my uncle had a place in the country by Climax.  My sister and I have seen a big cat there before.  It was kinda scarey.  I believe that they are around.  Maybe not to many, but they are around.  We had a colt killed by a cat about 10 years ago.  I again did not see the dead animal, but my husband is sure that it was a cat because of the marks on the neck that killed him.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

flo

Don't think I have posted this before, if I have I'll use my age as an excuse.  I started working for an attorney in Eureka in 1979 and drove to work early mornings.  One morning, and more than one morning,  I seen a large cat run across the highway by Bus's station (hope ya all know where that is, about 5 mi. north of Severy).  That night I said something to Lewis and he laughed at me.  Said it was probably a big dog - - I told him I know the difference between a dog and a large cat.  In 1981 he started working in Eureka and we drove together.  Guess what??? one morning on the way to work this cat ran across the highway at almost the exact place I had seen in other times and know what he said? You were right, that was a cat.  It was black and very very sleek.   Point made - there are cat's in this area. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

pam

When I worked out at the Flint Oak I saw one go across the road where you turn on the road that goes out by the Wineglass. It was right at dusk. Was a tawny brown color. Made me do the ol double take, that was like 8 or 9 years ago.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Diane Amberg

We have a few around here too. They are very secretive, but a few people have been able to get good photos. They live fat and happy on our over abundance of deer.

W. Gray

The last mountain lion killed in Missouri took place in the boot heel area in 1927.

That is, until one was killed by a farmer 44 miles east of Kansas City over the weekend.

The state of Missouri lists the mountain lion as extirpated, which according to my dictionary means to completely get rid of or destroy.

Unlike in Kansas where it is illegal to kill a mountain lion, it is legal in the state provided a person or live stock is being threatened and also provided the incident is reported to the Department of Conservation immediately and the carcass handed over within 24 hours.

Photo by the Missouri Department of Conservation
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

Uh, Waldo, is that photo caption supposed to be Missouri Department of Conversation?

W. Gray

Uhm, I guess we could not accuse those two state people of talking, could we?

Fixed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk