Request: Washington DC vs Heller..

Started by Teresa, March 18, 2008, 01:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jZOi0QxIZk7wY8br0MHhsEz-wL-wD91HR3800

This is great news indeed, but the fight is not over. This ruling, as it was designed, is just the first step. Now that we have this ruling that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right, we can now go forward with the fight to define "reasonable" restrictions.

We will celebrate, by all means, but we can't get complacent. The anti gunners are still with us, and they are very well funded and motivated.

Remember, during the Revolution, after initial victories in Concord and forcing the British out of Boston we got our butts kicked a lot, until we finally won at Yorktown. This is the beginning of a long fight toward victory. But like the British withdrawal from Boston it is the victory that will make all the others possible.
The first skirmish has just been won and has set the course for the remainder of the war.

We got this in an e-mail today from
Eric Cantor, United States Congressman

The hard work of millions of Second Amendment rights advocates has paid off in a tremendous way.  Earlier today, in perhaps the most significant Second Amendment court decision in over 60 years, the U.S. Supreme Court shot down Washington, D.C.'s 32-year-old ban on hand guns. It affirmed that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their family and their home.  The ruling today will cast fresh light on the constitutionality of several other bans on firearms around the country. 

This historic moment could not have been possible without the groundswell of attention and awareness you helped create. 

As we move forward, we must remember the importance of appointing judges who respect our laws and interpret the Constitution as it was intended; our liberties and freedoms must never be compromised. This effort was a major victory for liberty.

From Chicago (  http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/mccain.handgun.ban.2.757688.html   

McCain: Chicago Gun Ban Infringes On Rights

Republican Presidential Candidate Singles Out Chicago In Statement Praising Supreme Court Ruling

Gun Rights Ruling May Change Chicago Law
ARLINGTON, Va. (CBS) ― U.S. Sen. John McCain said Thursday that the Supreme Court ruling in favor of gun ownership showed that the Chicago handgun ban has "infringed on the constitutional rights of Americans."

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee called the ruling a "landmark victory for Second Amendment freedom in the United States."

"For the first time in the history of our Republic, the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed that the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms was and is an individual right as intended by our Founding Fathers," McCain said in a statement.

He criticized Sen. Barack Obama for not signing a bipartisan amicus brief supporting the ruling later issued by the Supreme Court, and singled out the Chicago ban in describing what the ruling should change.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

frawin

Diane Amberg

Aren't you all running around shooting your guns in the air? ;D

Teresa

Nope..the law abiding citizens  keep them close to us... in the nightstand drawers... under the mattress.. on our person...
for protecting ourselves..our families and our property.  ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a story entitled, "Court to Hear Gun Case," the Chicago Tribune's James Oliphant and Michael J. Higgins wrote ". . . the campaign of Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama said that he '...believes that we can recognize and respect the rights of law-abiding gun owners and the right of local communities to enact common sense laws to combat violence and save lives. Obama believes the D.C. handgun law is constitutional.'"

All statements by Barack Obama come with an expiration date. All of them.

Teresa

Teresa

NRA Sues to Overturn San Francisco's Handgun Ban

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,373122,00.html

Love it!  Full, head on assault by the good guys!

Teresa

Maybe I am just naive. But I would have expected the big three weekly news magazines (Time, Newsweek, US News) to have either run a cover story or some such large article on the Heller decision for Monday's edition. Nope. Not a one. If you look on their websites you will see mediocre summaries of the Supreme court activity for the last week or so but nothing substantial on Heller. I will wait until next week but I don't have my hopes up. The MSM just wants to bury this is my guess. The sooner it goes down the memory hole the better. But if it had of been the other way... I bet you that it would still be all over the covers of the news..

Catwoman

Remember Hurricane Katrina?  The only ones who were safe down there were the ones who had a bigger defense mechanism than those who sought to loot them (i.e. guns).  It proved to me, all over again, the necessity of personal protection. 

Diane Amberg

In some of the rougher parts of Wilmington, the women keep big jars of acid or drain cleaner near the door. Any funny business and they throw it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk